BAN1 - Primate Socio-ecology
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the types of life history?
- Type 1 - high mortality rate at end of life
- Type 2 - continuous
- Type 3 - high at beginning
Tell me about unique human life history
- Childhood + adolescence: larger brain, need to develop after birth
- Childhood only after H. erectus
- Adolescence: for developing sexually and perhaps to learn more complex social way of life
- Menopause: grandmother hypothesis
- Increasing seasonality in Plio/Pleistocene increase dependence of the young
Talk to me about fertility rate
- r-K continuum
- Humans more rapid fertility: agriculturalists more fertility
- !Kung more fertility with less mobility
- Macaque monkey more fertility with food provisioning (Japan) - food provisioning and time budgeting important.
Talk to me about life history trade-offs.
- Pygmies - shifts life history to earlier reproduction
- because of high mortality
- cessation of growth
Themes in Life history
- Fertility rate
- Unique Human Life History
- Life history tradeoff (pygmies)
- Life history is all to do with TRADE-OFFS between Time and Energy
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview