Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- to bug or bother someone by confusing them or throwing them off balance.
- they were perturbed by her capricious behavior
a massive inexorable force that seems to crush everything in its way
- a thick stick with a heavy end, baton used as a weapon.
- beat (someone) repeatedly with a bludgeon or other heavy object
- a large or dense group of insects, especially flying ones. Could also apply for group of animals or people.
- protesters were swarming into the building
- 1. a small mass of soft material; material, stuff
- 2. a bundle of paper, banknotes, or documents
- a wad of $20 bills
- move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
- ramble, rove, stray,tramp, vagabond, wander
- he was making progress, albeit rather slowly
To hustle something means to hurriedly push it along. If you overslept, you'll have to hustle out of the house to get to work on time.
- feel or show deep sorrow or regret for someone or their death
- Isabel mourned her husband
- 1. mark (something) with colored patches or dirty marks that are not easily removed
- 2. color (a material or object) by applying a penetrative dye or chemical
- 1. liquid that is covered with a layer of dirt or froth(foam)
- 2. worthless, trash person
- scrape or brush the surface of (a shoe or other object) against something
- scrape, scratch, rub, abrade
polish, burnish (something)
- push (someone or something) roughly
- push, thrust, propel
a small perfumed bag used to scent clothes.
unpleasantly sticky or messy substance.
- choosing or characterized by abstinence from alcohol
- abstemious; sober, dry
like glass in appearance or physical properties
- in a careful or cautious manner.
- cautiously, carefully, warily
- an enemy or opponent.
- adversary, rival, antagonist
- in exactly the same words as were used originally.
- precisely, accurately
- I memorized his monologue verbatim
in, relating to, or characteristic of the countryside rather than the town.
humorous in a playful, mischievous, or facetious manner.
A collision is when two or more things smash together.
- the process of freeing or state of being free from an obligation or liability imposed on others.
- exemption from the road tax
- a sudden desire or change of mind, especially one that is unusual or unexplained.
- impulse, notion, caprice, vagary
- lacking grace or skill in manner or movement or performance
- clumsy, gawky, ungainly, unwieldy, awkward
being the one previously mentioned or spoken of
Freckles are tiny concentrated spots of color on the skin, and someone who has them on her body is freckled
- having rugged physical strength; inured to fatigue or hardships
- hardy, stalwart, sturdy, robust
- an awkward stupid person
- clod, gawk, goon, lubber, lummox
If you’re ever kidnapped, you’d probably be worth millions in ransom. Ransom is the money demanded for the release of a captive.
- When you do something voluntarily, you do it of your own volition, or will.
- willing, intention
- the absence, removal, or loss of some quality or attribute of something that is normally present
- derives from deprivation
- The smoking have a privative(negative) effect to the overall appearance and function of the human body
- a brief indulgence of your impulses
- engage without restraint in an activity and indulge, as when shopping
To bash is to hit something hard.
a small container, typically cylindrical and made of glass, used especially for holding liquid medicines.
- lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture
- bleach can be diluted with cold water
A foot is to a human what a hoof is to a horse, a goat, or a giraffe. Each hoof protects the animal and helps it to walk and run.
a bright light to blind a person temporarily.
- intensely painful, agonizing, acute, intense
- excruciating back pain
separate or free (something) from its concrete form.
An envoy is someone sent out as a messenger to represent another person or group, such as a country or business.
to complain about something clearly but quietly, in a low mutter.
A grunt is a short, deep sound.
An ambush is a sneak attack. To ambush your enemy, hide and wait for him to come near and then pounce on him.
- To pounce is to attack suddenly by leaping onto your prey. A tiger will slowly sneak up on its prey and then suddenly pounce, using speed as much as strength to make the kill.
accept or admit the existence or truth of.