The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- quick and energetic
- a brisk walk in the park
Anything ecclesiastical is related to the Christian church.
look quickly, typically in a furtive manner.
- an introduction to something more substantial
- preliminary, prelude, introduction
- the overture to a long debate
- lacking good manners, refinement, or grace.
- uncivilized, uncultured
- feel contempt or a deep repugnance for
- He despises the people he has to work for
- altogether; completely, entirely
- without reservation or concealment
- He asked her outright for a divorce
inhale audibly through the nose
forbidden by law, illegal
a person's face or facial expression
an infant's bed or crib, typically one mounted on rockers.
- attorney, lawyer
- a professional person authorized to practice law; conducts lawsuits or gives legal advice
mix or cause to mix together.
(of food) no longer fresh and pleasant to eat; hard, musty, or dry.
paying close attention to something
laugh quietly, giggle, titter, chortle, simper
Lank can describe grass that is long, hair that is limp, and people who are tall and thin
Equity is the state or quality of being fair
- move or cause to move in a specified way, direction, or position
- she heaved the sofa back into place
- the passage between the pharynx and the stomach
- esophagus, gorge
any of various small breeds of fowl/chicken
- a ceremonial dinner party for many people
(of a bird) strike or bite something with its beak.
- Obscene describes something that is morally offensive in a sexual way.
- It's never a good idea to use obscene language at school.
- lewd, raunchy, salacious
To muffle is to quiet a sound, usually by wrapping it with something. If you try to speak with a scarf over your mouth, your voice will be muffled.
the act or an instance of washing or cleansing.
burn with a hot liquid or steam
To growl is to make a low, guttural, aggressive sound, like “grrrrrrrrrrr.” If you’ve ever gotten too close to an angry dog, you’ve probably heard a growl
- an angular or rounded shape made by folding
- bend, crimp, fold
to intimidate with language.
прашка, превръзка през рамото
- arrive or end up in a specified state, situation, or place; end up, finish up
- Kevin winds up in New York
- feel about uncertainly or blindly
- She groped for her glasses in the darkness of the bedroom
Pauper is an old-fashioned word for someone who is poor — really poor, like the paupers described by Charles Dickens or Mark Twain
- to slow down or soften
- give in, as to influence or pressure
- something that serves as a preceding event or introduces what follows
- training is a necessary preliminary to employment
(of something wet or greasy) shine; glitter.
- after a short time; soon.
- this will be examined in more detail presently
To gnaw is to bite, nibble or chew. Your favorite food might be corn on the cob, because you love to gnaw along each row of kernels.
- turned or twisted to one side
- askew, crooked, lopsided, tilted
- feeling or expressing pain or sorrow for sins or offenses
- contrite, remorseful, ruthful
- a small piece of cloth or paper
- rag, tag, tatter
the quality of being trusted and believed in
Acquittal is a legal word that defendants love to hear because it means "not guilty."
- A streak is a mark or characteristic
- What makes you keep trying to wipe the streak of permanent marker off the white couch — your clean streak or your stubborn streak?
- a painful or horrific experience, especially a protracted one
- Something kind of hard like taking a test can be an ordeal, but often an ordeal is a serious and long-lasting event, like an illness or tragedy
- having or showing deep religious feeling or commitment.
- she was a devout Catholic