new vocab 8
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Dung means animal droppings or waste. If you work at an elephant sanctuary, you're likely to spend a lot of time shoveling up elephant dung.
A mouthful is an amount of some substance that can fit in a person'a mouth. If you eat a mouthful of chocolate cream pie, you consume a bite of it.
urge or force (a person) to an action; constrain or motivate
A cannon is a large gun that fires heavy metal shells or other projectiles. Originally it was attached to wheels and pulled by men.
burial garment in which a corpse is wrapped
- become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
- abrade, abrase, corrade, rub down
- a spoken curse.
- she hurled her imprecations at anyone who might be listening
a police officer of the lowest rank
domesticated birds kept for eating or producing eggs
a short nail with a sharp point and a large head
To flounce is to move in an exaggerated, emphatic way, especially if your movement expresses anger or impatience.
an effigy in the shape of a man to frighten birds away from seeds
- a sermon on a moral or religious topic
carry or drag (a heavy or bulky object) with great effort
- deserving intense dislike.
- I found the film's violence detestable
When you say something emphatically, you say it with great emphasis and force, like when you emphatically denied that you took the last cookie.
- join in (an activity).
- participate in, take part in
The bosom is the breast or chest area of the body. It is also poetically considered to be the place where our feelings reside.
to such an extent or degree; so
- a solemn promise.
- oath, pledge, promise, bond, covenant
- crude and offensive in a sexual way
- lecherous, lustful, licentious, lascivious, dirty, prurient, salacious,lubricious
- expressive of or exciting sexual love or romance
- her amatory affairs
- amorous, romantic
displaying animation, vigor, or liveliness
a bad-tempered or surly person.
- extremely impressive
- amazing, astounding
- an instance of rapid strong pulsation (of the heart)
- throb, throbbing, heartbeat
- take away a part from; cut down on; make a reduction in; diminish
- His bad manners detract from his good character
a garment that covers the head and face
- perceive or recognize (something)
- I can discern no difference between the two policies
- hidden from general view or use
- a privy place to rest and think
- refuse to declare valid
- the judge disallowed his evidence
- reject, refuse, dismiss
destroy completely; ruin
immorality, impropriety; pornographic, indecent
not friendly or forthcoming; cool and distant
a place of refuge or safety; shelter
someone who is no longer alive
- a painting that is applied to a wall surface
- of or relating to walls
To cull means to select or gather. to pick
having or revealing supreme mastery or skill
- a feeling of intense longing for something.
- strong desire
- tending to move unsteadily from side to side
- the car had a wobbly wheel
- a grotesque product of the imagination
- imagery, imagination
- an instance of giving off something such as a liquid, light, or smell.
- a massive effusion of poisonous gas
A patriarch is a male leader. Your father might be the patriarch of your family, but your kid brother could be the patriarch of his club house.
relating to the logical discussion of ideas and opinions.
expressing sorrow; mournful
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview