Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Keq is the?
3H2 + N2⇌2NH3
It is written?
- equilibrium constant
The equilibrium constant shows
- -the if there is more reactant than product at equilibrium.
- -the extent to which the forward and reverse reaction take place.
How is Ionization constant symbolized?
Kw, Ka, etc.
Set up the solution for this problem:
At 25oC, a 0.100 M solution of HC2H3O2
is 1.34% ionized and has an [H+]
of 1.34 x 10-3 mol/L. Calculate Ka for acetic acid.
- HC2H3O2=.1-.00134=0.099mol/L reactant
- HC2H3O2 yields 1 mole of both, so equal moles of each=1.34 x 10-3 mol/L, HC2H3O2
Ionic Equilibria problems measure...
the pH from the ionization constant Ka
what's the solubility product constant
5 steps for writing the Sparingly soluble solids
- 1) ionize the salt
- 2) write the Ksp expression
- 3) determine the moles of the ions
- 4) substitute into the Ksp expression
- 5) Ksp has no denominator
The solubility of AgCl in water is 1.3 x 10^-5 mol/L.
AgCl(s)⇌Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq)
Set up this solution
[Ag]=[Cl]=is 1.3 x 10^-5, so
(1.3 x 10^-5 )(1.3 x 10^-5 )=1.7X10^-10
Write the Ksp expression for PbSO4
Then, substitute x.
- Expression Ksp=[Pb+2][SO4-2]
- Substitute x: Ksp=[X][X]
What is hydrolysis?
term used for general reactions which a water molecule is split
how do you buffer a solution?
what do I need to know about them?
- -a weak acid mixes with it's conjugate base form a buffer solution
- -they resist pH changes with small dilutions
the oxidation number represents
# of e- lost, gained, & unequally shared.
-Lost/gained=metal & non-metal. (ionic bond)
-unequally shared=2 mor more non-metals. (covalent)
what does a positive & negative oxidation # mean?
- +=fewer electrons
- -=more electrons
All elements in their free state (Na, Cu, Mg, H2, O2, Cl2, N2) have an oxidization number of
H is +1, except in ______, where it is___ (eg NaH, CaH)
metal hydrides, -1
O s -2, except in ____, where it is ___, and OF2, where it is ___
peroxides, -1, +2.
The metallic elements in ionic compounds has a ____ oxidation number
In covalent compounds, the ____ oxidation number is assigned to the most ____
The algebraic sum of the oxidation numbers of the elements in a compound is
The algebraic sum of the oxidation number of the elements in a polyatomic ion is ____ the charge of the ion
Determine the oxidation number for manganese on potassium permanganate (polyatomic ion)?
- 1+-8+X=0, so Mn=7