Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why metallic bond strength decreases down the group?
- Atomic radius increase --> delocalised electrons futher away from the nuclear charge --> attraction decreases
- Charge density decreases --> weaker metallic bond
- Greater shielding effect
Colour of Cl2, Br2, I2 solution?
- Cl: pale green
- Br: orange- brown
- I: brown
Example of smart materials?
- Shape memory alloys
- photochromic & thermochromic materials
- self-healing materials
Materials that can reversibly change in properties when conditions change
Crystal co-ordination numbers?
The number of anions around each cation in an ionic lattice and vice versa
- A relatively strong intermolecular bond
- A hydrogen atom joined to a very electronegative element in a molecule
- Bonding to the another electronegative element in another molecule
The ability of an atom in a covalent bond to attract the electron pair
Formed by the attractions between positive ions and negative ions
A covalent bond where both electrons come from one of the atoms
Definition of covalent bond?
- A pair of electrons of opposite spin shared between two atoms.
- Each atom gives one electron to the bonding pair of electron
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview