The OIG is:
A. Office of Inspector General
B. Office of Independent Guidence
C. Office of International Government
Of the three situations listed next, which one is compliant with the antikickback law?
A. furnishing a computer for the physician to keep his office records on
B. leasing space in the physician's office, with the physicians using half the space for the office manager's office
C. furnishing the physician with the blood collection tubes that are returned the furnishing laboratory for testing
A patient is having blood collected and asks the phlebotomist to have a copy of the results sent to the physician who is not listed on the requisition. What should the phlebotomist do?
A. give the physician the results
B. show the patient the results in the computer but not print out a copy for the patient
C. call the ordering physician to determine if this is permissible
prohibits the knowing and willful payment or offer of any remeneration directly or indirectly in return for inducing, referring a specimen to a laboratory testing paid for by a federal health program.
forbids a physician from referring a specimento a laboratory in which the physician or an immediate family member as a financial intrest.
False claims act
prohibits knowingly presenting a false claim to the government
Civil Monetary Penalties Law
applies to claims for services that are not provided as claimed
What are seven elements that should be included in a laboratory compliance plan?
1. the development and disribution of written standards of conduct
2. the designation of a cheif compliance officer and corporate compliance committe resposible for operating and monitoring the compliance program
3. the development of regular training programs for all affected employees
4. The maintance of the compliance process to receive complaints in an anonymous manner without fear of retaliation
5. the development of a system to respond to allegations of improper illegal activities and appropriate disciplinary action against employees who have violated compliance policy
6. the use of audits or other evaulation techniques to monitor compliance and assist in the reduction of identified problem areas
7. the investigation and remediation of identified systematic problems and the development of polilicies addressing these problems
If a laboratory places equipment and supplies in a physician's office, what are some of the limitations that must be placed on the use of the equipment and supplies?
there are only to be used for the purpose of collecting and preparing samples for the laboratory to do the testing.
If a phlebotomist is working in a physician's office, what can the phlebotomist NOT do for the physician?
1. take vital signs or perofrming other nursing functions not related to the collection of a specimen
2. filling reports, answering telephones, or performing other fuctions that are normally done by the physicians staff
3. entering billing information or performing tests for the physicians office
4. retreving patient's charts for diagnostic information
5. performing any duty that is not related to the laboratory and specimen collection
What was the original purpose to HIPAA?
this law was started as an act to protect health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose jobs
What complications of phlebotomy can result in legal action?