The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
cells placed in a hypertonic solution will ______.
what are trace elements?
essential elements only needed in tiny amounts like copper, zinc, iron, manganese
what is oxygen dangerous what do cells do about it?
- its powerful attaction for elements causes it to make free radicals
- some cells have enzymes:
- supernoide dismutase
- perioxidase- to turn free radicals into water-that is, to make themselves.
- the antixodants, Vitamins A, C, and E, do the same
what are the classficiations of organisms that are based on their handling of oxygen?
aerobes, faculative anerobes, strict anerobes, aerotolerant anerobes, microaerophiles
what is a culture medium?
- nutrient material prepared for the growth of microbes
- may be solid (agar) or liquid (broth)