Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A mandate is like an official command or a go-ahead. When a politician wins an election by a lot, that's a mandate for their ideas.
of or appropriate to war; warlike
- seize and carry off (someone) by force.
- her child was ravished from her breast
- seize, snatch, carry off/away, steal, abduct
of or relating to the countryside, rural life
- If you relinquish something, you let it go
- he relinquished his managerial role to become chief executive
- renounce, give up/away
formed of a single large block of stone
to help someone understand; uplift
enroll as a student
- a saying that is widely accepted as a true.
- Mathematicians use axiom to refer to established proofs.
Myopia is nearsightedness, which means you see things more clearly that are closer to your eye.
- set or declare (someone) free from blame, guilt, or responsibility.
- the pardon absolved them of any crimes
- exonerate, discharge, acquit, vindicate
- a crime that undermines the offender's government
- treachery, disloyalty, betrayal
Sedition is the illegal act of inciting people to resist or rebel against the government in power. It's what the southern states did at the start of the Civil War.
- an amateur who engages in an activity without serious
- dilettante, amateur
the everyday speech of the people; dialect
- infinitely or immeasurably small;
- minute, small
displaying exaggerated flattery or affection; obsequious.
Discrete means separate or divided.
- 1. existing in name only
- 2. insignificantly small
a precious or semiprecious stone; jewel
- 1. lose interest in; become bored with
- 2. exhausting, wearing
destructive to both sides in a conflict.
Use the word nil to mean "zero," especially when you're talking about scores in a sporting event: "the final score was twelve-nil."
- the extent of something from side to side
- bite or chew on with the teeth
- gnaw an old cracker
pellets of frozen rain that fall from the sky
- search for and collect (anything usable) from discarded waste
- If you're looking for a replacement part for a vintage car, you might scavenge at the dump for a suitable part.
A nexus is a central link or connection.
- 1. an event with a powerful and unpleasant effect; a blow.
- the third whammy was the degradation of the financial system
- 2. an evil or unlucky influence.
- give qualities or abilities to
- he endowed the church with lands
- When you're at a lecture and you feel restless, you've got to sublimate the desire to move around. That means you force the desire to be more subtle so you can continue listening — even if you don't want to.
- control, divert, transfer, redirect, convert
- the localized death of living cells
- настилам с чакъл
- macadamized roads
- inactivity; showing an unusual lack of energy
- flatness, lethargy
- lassitude, listlessness, apathy
- lack of honesty; acts of lying or cheating or stealing
cause to lose courage
- make or work out a plan for; devise
- They contrived to murder their boss
- design, plan, project, plot
Covenant is an agreement between two people, or companies, or even countries. It is formal, solemn, sometimes even sacred.
Lust is a strong craving for sex. It also can mean a hunger for anything, like lust for power.
without mercy or pity
a feeling of sympathy and sorrow for the misfortunes of others
If you're in a really bad or irritable mood, you can say you're crabby. Loud talking and laughing during a movie might make you crabby.
- someone who works for an expert to learn a trade
- If you are in the vanguard, you're up front. It could be that you are in the vanguard of an advancing army, or in the vanguard of any movement, trend, or occupation.
An egalitarian is a person who believes in the equality of all people, and an egalitarian society gives everyone equal rights.
- A glut is too much of something
- surplus, excess, surfeit, superfluity
a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated