Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is a sum?
- Addition problem answer.
What is a product?
- Multiplication problem answer.
What is a difference?
- Subtraction problem answer.
What is a quotient?
- Division problem answer.
What is a divisor?
- "Divisor is knocking at the door." Outside number of division problem.
What is a dividend?
- "Dividend is within." Outside number of division problem.
What is prime?
- A number that is only divisible by one and itself.
- Example: 7
What is composite?
- A number that isn't only divisible by one and itself. The opposite of prime.
- Example: 8
What does odd mean?
- A number that ends in 1,3,5,7,9.
- Example: 21
What does even mean?
- A number that ends in 2,4,6,8,0.
- Example: 24.
What is Greatest Common Factor?
- GCF is when you have 2 numbers, it is the biggest number that will go into both numbers.
- Example: GCF of 16 and 24 is 8.
What is Least Common Multiple?
- LCM is when you have 2 numbers, it is the smallest number that will go into both numbers.
- Example: LCM of 8 and 12 is 24.
What is a factor?
- What goes into a number.
- Example: Factors of 12: 1,2,3,4,6,12.
What is a multiple?
- Product of 2 numbers.
- Example: Multiples of 12: 12,24,36,48,60,72,84,96,108.
What is Distributive Property?
- Use the Ladder Method the GCF.
- The remaining numbers below the ladder are the addends that go inside the ().
- Write the expression.
- Example: 24+16= 8(3+2)
What does add mean?
- To bring two or more numbers (or things) together to make a new total.
- Example: If you add 2 and 3 you get 5.
What does subtract mean?
- To take one number away from another.
- Example: 5 - 2 = 3
What does multiply mean?
The basic idea of multiplication is repeated addition. For example: 5 × 3 = 5 + 5 + 5 = 15
What does division mean?
- Division is splitting into equal parts or groups. It is the result of "fair sharing".
- Example: We use the ÷ symbol, or sometimes the / symbol to mean divide: 12 / 3 = 4 12 ÷ 3 = 4
What is dividing by a multi- digit divisor?
- When the divisor in a division problem is more than one digit.
- Example: 456/23.
What is divisibility?
When one number can be divided by another and the result is an exact whole number. Example: 15 is divisible by 3, because 15 ÷ 3 = 5 exactly But 9 is not divisible by 2 because 9 ÷ 2 is 4 with 1 left over.
What is numerator?
- The number on top of a fraction.
- Example: 12/24
What is denominator?
- The number on the bottom of a fraction.
- Example: 12/24
What does simplify mean?
- To make a fraction smaller by dividing.
- Example: 15/30=1/2.
What is an improper fraction?
- When the numerator is bigger than the denominator.
- Example: 39/21.