Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
To be unflappable is to be calm and relaxed, even in a stressful situation. A confident person is usually unflappable.
- 1. a hostile challenge
- 2. open resistance; bold disobedience.
- the demonstration was held in defiance of official warnings
- a person, especially a young one, endowed with exceptional qualities or abilities
- genius, mastermind, virtuoso, wunderkind
convert to another faith or religion
- characterized by extreme care and great effort
- diligent, industrious, punctilious, painstaking,
- sedulous, assiduous,dedicated
a child whose parents are dead
- impair, disfigure
- no wrinkles marred her face
- a saying that is widely accepted on its own merits
- proverb, axiom
- make an attack or assault in return for a similar attack
- avenge, revenge
- retaliation, counterattack, comeback
- revenge, vengeance, retribution
- designed or carried out according to a plan; artificially formal
- a novel with a contrived ending
- repetition of same sense in different words
- the phrase "a beginner who has just started" is tautological
- make very angry
- e students were enraged at these new rules
- make angry
- exasperate, infuriate
ointment, lotion, cream, salve, liniment
- worthless things; trash.
- separating the chaff from the grain
- of or relating to an owner or ownership.
- the company has a proprietary right to the property
- the company issued additional shares to shareholders in lieu of a cash dividend
unskilled worker who is obliged to do menial work
emitting light as a result of being heated
- damp, musty, chilly, clammy, moist, wet
- the dank basement
- a hint
- the records give us an inkling of how people saw the world
- idea, notion, sense, impression, conception
- suggestion, indication, whisper, glimmer
a secret rendezvous, a date
- cause (someone) to feel embarrassed, ashamed, or humiliated.
- she was mortified to see her wrinkles in the mirror
- a person sent on a special mission, usually as a diplomatic representative.
- envoy, ambassador, delegate, attaché, consul
- unusually or disproportionately large; excessive
- a case that had taken up an inordinate amount of time
Equine means having to do with horses
- dig out (something buried, especially a corpse) from the ground
- the district attorney is requesting that the body be exhumed
- shine with a soft tremulous light.
- the sea shimmered in the sunlight
a fortress, typically on high ground, protecting or dominating a city.
- Secular things are not religious. Anything not affiliated with a church or faith can be called secular
- not genuine; fraudulent.
- I thought your accent was a bit phony
- bogus, false, fake, fraudulent, spurious
public condemnation of someone or something.
appease, conciliate, make up
- make (information) known; communicate.
- announce, proclaim, herald, promulgate, broadcast
- any attire that modifies the appearance in order to conceal the wearer's identity
- he disguised himself as a girl
- make (someone) extremely angry and impatient.
- her silences infuriated him
- the action of spending funds; expenses
- the expenditure of taxpayers' money
- happened by chance
- fortuitous, serendipitous, coincidental
- 1. come into view indistinctly, often threateningly
- 2. a textile machine for weaving yarn into a textile
- add (something) as an attachment or supplement.
- the results of the survey are appended to this chapter
teasing, mockery, chaff, ragging, banter, badinage