Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does the integumentary system consist of?
skin, hair, nails
What are the primary functions of skin?
- sensory input
- produces vit D
- secretes sweat, urea and lactic acid
- expresses emotion (blushing)
- repairs surface wounds
What are the 3 layers of the skin?
Epidermis, Dermis, Subcutaneous (hypodermis)
What is the Epidermis made of?
Stratified squamous epithelium
Describe the blood supply to the epidermis
What is the deepest layer of the epidermis called?
What is Keratinization and where does it occur?
- keratin is deposited, causes cells to be flat, hard and waterproof
- Stratum Germinativum (deepest layer of epidermis)
What is the outermost layer of the epidermis?
How long does it take for epidermis cells to be replaced?
4 weeks, 30 days
What is contained in the epidermis?
hair roots, apocrin sweat glands, ecrin sweat glands, sebaceous glands
What determines skin color?
Describe the vascularity of the Dermis
Highly Vascular Connective Tissue
What are the two types of sweat glands?
- eccrine-regulate temp, most common
- Apocrine- larger, deeper, make body odor
What is the thickness of the Dermis?
1-4mm depending on where it is
What are the appendages in the integumentary system?
hair, nails, glands
What does the Eccrine gland do?
regulates temp, located all over the body
What does the Apocrine gland do?
- found in axillae (arm pit), ano-genital, Pinna
- secretes odorless fluid in reaction to emotions
- when decomposition of Apocrine sweat occurs you get body odor
Describe Sebaceous Glands
- secretes sebum to help hair and skin stay hydrated
- all over except for palms and soles
What are the 3 parts of a hair follicle?
What is the nail?
epidermal cells converted to hard plates of keratin
What is the white base of your nail called?
Describe the tissue underneath the nail
- highly vascular
- Capillary Refill-tells how blood circulation is
Describe the problems with skin in babies
unable to regulate temp and prevent fluid loss