Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
5in technical name
5" 54 Caliber MK 45 Mod 2
5" Rate of Fire
15-20 rounds per minute (based on elevation)
5" Hot Gun
50 rounds in 4 hours
5" Maximum Range
13 nautical miles
5" Effective Range (Surface)
9 nautical miles
5" Effective Range (Air)
4 nautical miles
5" Loader Drum Holds
20 rounds with 6 fuse types
5" Barrel Length
5" Fired From
GFCS, EP2, GMCP
5" Round Types
- BL&P, WP, RAP, SS, VT non-frag, HE
- Blind White Rappers Suck Very Hard
Rocket Assisted Projectile (Used for long range surface)
White Phosphorus - Used for smoke, create fires, defoliage (Used for surface)
Star Shell Used for illumination (Giant Flare)
Variable Timed, Non-Fragmentation (Training Round for air)
Blind, Loaded and Plugged (Training round used for surface. No explosive)
5" Fuse Types
- IR, KEET, MT, GP, MFF, CVT, HEET, PD, VT
- i know many gunners mates catch hpv
Mechanically Timed (surface)
Point Detonation (surface)
High Explosive Electronic Time (surface)
Kinetic Energy Electronic Time (surface, small boats)
Controlled Variable Time (air/surface)
Multi Function Fuse (air/surface)
Guided Projectile (surface)
5" Firing Sequence
- 1. Projectile and Powder are loaded into the Lower Loading Station.
- 2. Round is raised up through the Lower Hoist. (3 stations)
- 2. Round arrives at the Upper Loading Station.
- 3. Round is moved from Upper Loading Station to the Loader Drum. (Holds 20 Rounds)
- 4. Round is rotated to the Transfer Station/Fuse Setter.
- 5. After Fuse is set, Round is transferred to the Upper Hoist.
- 6. Upper Hoist raises the Round to the Cradle.
- 7. Cradle raises the Round in line with the Barrel and Breech.
- 8. Rammer loaded Round into the Breech.
- 9. Breech Block partially closes.
- 10. Rammer retracts and Cradle Lowers.
- 11. Empty Case Tray lowers.
- 12. Breech Block completely closes.
- 13. Gun Fires.
- 14. Breech Block opens and ejects empty case into the Empty Case Tray.
- 15. Empty Case Tray raises and empty case is ejected above the Barrel.
CIWS/gun barrel technical name
- Mk15 Mod25 Phalanx CIWS (Close In Weapons System)
- M61A1 6 barreled 20mm Gatling gun
(Anti-Ship Missile Defense)/ Terminal Missile Defense
Self contained Search & Track Radar with 6 radar channels, can be changed in event of radar jamming. Radar can determine if a target will hit the ship & can store targets in memory. RCS (Remote Control System) in CIC can also pass target input to CIWS from MSS and SUWC. CIWS receives 440V power supply, seawater for cooling system, & gyro input from ship.
CIWS Rate of Fire (Air)
4500 rounds per minute
CIWS Rate of Fire (Surface)
3000 rounds per minute
CIWS Hot Gun
300 rounds in 5 minutes
CIWS Toxic Gases
Present for 3 minutes, wait 30 minutes for barrel cooling or cool with water
CIWS Maximum Range
CIWS Effective Range
CIWS Search Range
CIWS Minimum Range Rate (Target Speed)
148 nautical miles
- Forward, Baseline 1B2
- Improved radar subsystem, StarFabric computer subsystem, selectable digital radar frequencies
- Aft , Baseline 1B1
- Traditional analog radar subsystem, High Order Language Computer (HOLC), 6 Fixed frequency crystals
CIWS Round Types
All rounds are Armor Piercing, Discarding Sabot (APDS) not for use in forward firing aircraft, as the plastic sabots would be sucked into the engine intakes. The sub-caliber penetrator is made of a dense metal (Depleted Uranium or Tungsten) designed to shred missile control surfaces and internal components.
CIWS Mk149 ammo
- Depleted Uranium/Tungsten penetrator
- *Not normally used onboard USS Hopper
CIWS Mk244 ammo
- Enhanced Lethality Cartridge
- Thicker case, Tungsten penetrator, more powder in cartridge. Can only be used with Optimized Gun Barrels (OGB), which are longer and heavier than previous versions.
CIWS Firing Modes
- AAW Auto (Fires under computer control)
- AAW Manual (Operator has to push the Fire button)
- Surface (Operator manually tracks and fires, reduced firing rate of 3000 shots/minute)
CIWS Maximum load
CIWS Drum holds
CIWS Maintenance load
- HERO 4: Forward
- HERO 5: Aft
25mm (25mike mike) technical name
MK38 Mod 2 25mm Chain Gun
25mm Rate of Fire
- Low: 100 rounds per minute
- High: 180 rounds per minute
25mm Hot Gun rate of fire
- 100 rounds in 15 minutes
- 400 rounds in 60 minutes
25mm Maximum Range
25mm Effective Range
25mm Round Types
- HEI-T: High Explosive Incendiary Tracer
- APDS-T: Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot Tracer
- TP-T: Target Practice Tracer
- SAPHEI-T: Semi Armor Piercing High Explosive Incendiary Tracer
Crew Served Weapons Mounts
- 13 Mounts Total
- 4 Focsle (2 fwd, 1 port, 1 stbd)
- 2 Bridge Wings (1 port, 1 stbd)
- 2 Midships (1 port, 1 stbd)
- 2 Aft VLS (1 port, 1 stbd)
- 3 Flight Deck (1 port, 1 stbd, 1 aft)
.50 cal technical name
M2HB (.50 cal) Machine Gun
.50 cal Rate of Fire
550 rounds per minute
.50 cal Hot Gun
200 rounds in 2 minutes
.50 cal Maximum Range
.50 cal Effective Range
M240 Rate of Fire
600 rounds per minute
M240 Hot Gun
200 rounds in 2 minutes
M240 Maximum Range
M240 Effective Range (Point Target/Area Target)
800 meters, 1800 meters
- 18in Past the furthest protruding point of the mount (5in barrel; CIWS Radome; 25mm camera)
- 4in Wide (Red)
- 2in White stenciled lettering says DANGER AREA
- 4ft Spacing from center of lettering (R in DANGER to the next R in DANGER)
Delay in the firing of a round.
Failure of a round to fire.
Condition where the weapon has fired enough rounds in a short amount of time that the barrel reaches a temperature high enough to cause rounds to cook off and ignite without firing.
Naval Surface Fire Support Part of Surface Warfare, utilized when Marines are on the ground and need Gunnery support from Naval Ships. Marines call the Ship with the coordinates of the target. CIC plots the target and transfers the information to the GFCS. GFCS tells MT 51 to aim and shoot at the target. If the shot is off, the Marines call in the corrections and the process repeats.
What does blue color coding mean in regards to ammunition?
Blue color coding means Inert Projectile. The round will still fire, only the projectile is inert.
What are the three primary gun systems used by Navy surface combatants?
- 5 inch MK 45 Light Weight Gun
- 76mm MK 75 Gun System
- 57mm Mk 110
What are the three warfare areas that utilize naval gun systems?
Strike, Surface Warfare and Air Warfare
What is the purpose of the ships gyro as it relates to weapon systems?
The Ships gyro provides a stable horizontal reference and bearing for weapon systems
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview