NIIMS consisted of ﬁve major sub-systems that collectively provided a total systems approach to incident management.
1. The Incident Command System (ICS) included operating requirements, interactive components, and procedures for organizing and operating an on-scene management structure.
2. Training was standardized and supported the effective operation of NIIMS.
3. The qualiﬁcations and certiﬁcation system provided for personnel across the nation meeting standard training, experience, and physical requirements to ﬁll speciﬁc positions in the system.
4. Publications management included develop-ment, publication, and distribution of NIIMS materials.
5. Support technologies included satellite remote imaging, sophisticated communications sys-tems, geographic information systems, and so on, which supported NIIMS operations.