The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- excessively fastidious and easily disgusted
- so squeamish he would only touch the toilet handle with his elbow
- draw back, as with fear or pain
- she flinched when they showed the slaughtering of the calf
- spoken or done without preparation.
- an extemporaneous speech
- rub hard or scrub
- scour the counter tops
- with the mouth wide open as in wonder or awe
- we stood there agape with wonder
- a formal pronouncement from an authoritative source.
- he received the dictum with evident reluctance
- wildly excited or uncontrolled; frantic, frenetic
- a frenzied attack
wildly, insane; without self-control
- a long period of time
- he reached the crag eons before I arrived
the wide part of a river where it nears the sea; fresh and salt water mix
To confide in someone is to tell them something privately. We confide in people we trust.
enthusiastic and lengthy applause
- sad or miserable in appearance.
- A person may looks woebegone as a result of a calamity.
- formed, arranged, or done for a particular purpose only.
- a coordinated policy instead of ad hoc decisions
- (of speech or writing) using or involving ellipsis, especially so as to be difficult to understand.
- cryptic, abstruse, ambiguous, obscure
bring into effective action; utilize.
- To brandish something is to wave it about aggressively, as one might brandish a sword or tennis racket
- flourish, wave, shake, wield
- unrestrained and violent
- rampant aggression
If your neighborhood seems to teem with cats, that means there are a lot of cats running around. Teem refers to a large number.
an acute contagious viral disease characterized by fever and by swelling of the parotid glands
- of or relating to the stars or constellations
- sidereal bodies
Natty means current in style, both of dress and manners. A natty dresser is someone who is very stylish and has a snappy attitude.
- excessively interested in acquiring money or material things.
- greedy, covetous, avaricious
If your mother enshrines your first drawing, she might frame it and hang it in a special place, as if it were a holy relic. To enshrine is to put something special, often religious, into a protective place.
- give an unofficial name or nickname to (someone or something).
- the media dubbed anorexia “the slimming disease.”
- the substance or essence of a speech or text
- she noted the gist of each message
- not claiming attention for oneself; retiring and modest.
- his demeanor was self-effacing, gracious, and polite
conscientiousness in performing all aspects of a task; painstakingness
to a meager degree or in a meager manner
- reject or void, especially by legal procedure.
- cancel, reverse, rescind, repeal, revoke, retract
- his conviction was quashed on appeal
without variation or change, in every case
A heuristic is a rule or method that helps you solve problems faster than you would if you did all the computing. It sounds fancy, but you might know a heuristic as a "rule of thumb."
Adultery is a word for cheating — cheating on your spouse with another person. Adultery isn’t a crime, but some people consider it a sin.
- with competence; in a competent capable manner
- Steven has summed up our concerns very ably
- stop oneself from doing something.
- she refrained from comment
- If you blurt something out, you're speaking abruptly and without thinking about what you're saying.
- she wouldn't blurt out words she did not mean
small amount of something; a bite
a steep or rugged cliff or rock face
- the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort
- endurance, strength
- misery resulting from affliction
- wretchedness, sadness, unhappiness
- surprise greatly
- a sudden sound in the doorway startled her
- surprise, frighten, scare
- give or apportion (something) to someone as a share or task.
- equal time was allotted to each
- an unhealthy pale appearance.
- paleness, pallidness, lack of color
revoke or annul, cancel officially
- 1. access
- 2. to fill (someone) with delight and wonder
- to put into a trance
- To enrapture someone is cast an irresistible spell over them, to make them feel "rapture." I was enraptured by her gorgeous voice and stunning way of interpreting a song.
- delight, enchant, enthral
- heated disagreement.
- arguing, argument, contestation, controversy
- using or expressing dry, especially mocking, humor.
- a wry smile
- ironic, sardonic, satirical, mocking, sarcastic
- of or relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life.
- the church is lovely for its bucolic setting
- rustic, rural, pastoral, country, countryside