Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- -Already had the music in his mind
- -No corrections
- -Wrote his first symphony when he was 8
- -150 things by the time he was 17
- -Died at 36
- -Sonata Form
- -Hearing loss
- -Ode to Joy he made when he was completely deaf
- -Not quite classical
- -Sonata Form
- -Wrote over 100 symphonies
- -String quartets
What system of measurement came from the French Revolution?
-The Metric System
What was King Louis XIV's role in the French Revolution and what happened to him as a result?
- -Tried to fix the overspending done by his ancestors
- -A national assembly came about called "The Oath of the Tennis Courts" which decided to make a new government
- -He lots the throne
- Gravity and calculus
- Declaration of the rights of man
The Glorious Revolution
A king was fired, but not beheaded
What happened in 1215?
-The Parliament gets even more power and the House of Commons was set up
Social Contract Theory
Protection on one side and freedom on the other
Who is Napoleon?
- Became emperor of France because they didn't want a king and wanted to bring back Greek and Roman terms
Who is Houdem?
A famous Neoclassical sculpture
What happens in classical music?
- -Piano replaces the harpsichord and organ
- -Sonata form, theme and variations, minuet, trio, rondo
What is really important in neoclassical music?
What is the difference between classicism and romanticism?
Classicism brought back the old ways of Greek and Roman thinking while romanticism is about deeply felt emotion
- -Used a rotary system to make finding foal more efficient
- -You no longer had to mine near rivers
- Created the train
What was romanticism all about?
- -Exotic/interest in ole eras
How did authors implement supernatural in the romantic era?
- -Charles Dickson "A Christmas Carol"
- -Victor Hugo "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"
- -Bram Stoke "Dracula"
- -Mary Shelley "Frankenstein"
- -Brother Grimm tales
What type of music did the romantic era like?
- -Young composer
- -Art song
- -600 songs
- -Wedding March
- -nostalgia craze
Who is playing/singing in Art Song and what is it like?
- -Solo singer or solo piano
- -Strophic (repeating like hymns) or through-composed
- -They are like poems set to music
Who were in the Paris Connection?
- -"George Sand"
- -Wanted to be buried in France his heart cut out and buried in Poland
- -Couldn't play instrument
- -Symphonie Fantastiqu
- -he writes this girl love letters and she doesn't respond and that's how he wrote that sympthony
- -Would cut his strings and transpose on the spot
- -Expert pianist
- -Concert performance
- -Rock star
- -Women would faint
- -Adult prodigy
- -The Nutcracker
- -His own worst critic
- -1812 Overture
- -Music drama (opera)
- -Father of film music
- -Cartoon music
What was the result of the Franco-Prussian War?
-France was now focused on culture
What was realism all about?
- -It looks real
- -Heroic Peasant
Who were two artists during the impressionist era?
- -Honore Daumier
- -Thomas Eakins
How did the camera change art?
- -Impressionism came about to try to compete with the camera
- -No longer trying to look real, but doing something a camera can't do
- -They break up lines and light now
- -Don't focus on detail
- -Tried to paint really fast to get broken lines and light effect (gets done in one sitting)
- -Expert at showing the color of water
- -Valued CAPTURING THE MOMENT
- -Impression Sunrise
- -Impressionist painter
- -Ordinary things and not as heroic
- -Loved painting people
- -Can make fantastic color skin tone
- -No longer doll and plump people
- -The Loge
- -Didn't follow normal rules of painting (triangular in center ect.)
- -Shows ordinary life
- -Has distracting backgrounds
- -Famous for "Cakemill" or Le Moulin de la Galette painting
- -An American who moved to Paris
- -One of the few famous women painters
- -"The Bath"
- -Painted ballet
- -He was blind
- -Started to use pastel because it dried slower since he was blind
What was a popular medium in the impressionist era?
- -Asked to create a big set of doors called "Gate of hell" based off of Gherberti's "Gates of Paradise"
- -Created "The Thinker" based from his door work
- -Not as detailed
- -Whole Tone Scale
- -Clair de Lune
- -Suggestion, not a declaration
- -No defined theme
- -"Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun"
- -No pulsing rhythm, more flowy
- -Statue of Liberty
- -Sent over in pieces
- -Prefabrication (making something somewhere else and bringing it to a new place)
- -Two pennies thick
- -Asked Gustave Eiffel for help
- -Made bridges
- -Created Eiffel Tower
Vincent van Gogh
- -Impast means to apply a lot of paint which he did
What is expressionism?
- -Distortion of reality
- -Munch created "The Scream"
- -Not to be photo realism
- -Brings about emotion
What came about due to World War I?
- -Picasso used cubism
- -Shapes opened up
- -Picasso was a child prodigy
Modernism in music
- -Dissonance, atonality
- -Rhythmic complexity, bitonality
- -Non western influences
- -Primitive :old is new
- -Trying to abandon meter and scale
-Modern composer wrote a version of Romeo and Juliet
- -Modern composer
- -Rite of Spring
- -Contacted by Serge Diaghilev
- -Isadora Duncan
- -Martha Graham
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview