The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- a noisy disturbance or quarrel.
- disturbance, brawl, melee, rumpus, skirmish
- compensate (someone) for harm or loss
- the amount of insurance that may be carried to indemnify the owner in the event of a loss
- written or spoken communication or debate
- the language of political discourse
- discussion, conversation, talk, dialogue, conference
- deprive (someone) of power, rights, or possessions
- men are unlikely to be divested of power without a struggle
- deprive of, strip of, dispossess of, rob of
- the state of being a slave.
- slavery, enslavement, servitude, subjugation
- the establishment or starting point of an institution or activity
- she has been on the board since its inception two years ago
- beginning, commencement, start, birth
comic verse composed in irregular rhythm.
- excessive pride or self-confidence.
- arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, hauteur
- pride, self-importance
- Resurrection describes something that has been brought back to life — literally or figuratively
- it produced a resurrection of hope
- resurgence, revitalisation, revival, revivification
- bringing again into activity and prominence
- renewal, revival, recovery, comeback, reawakening
come into existence
- a large number of similar things
- outpouring, flood, deluge, torrent
- a mixture; a medley
- a mélange of tender vegetables and herbs
- make fun of or attempt to provoke (a person or animal) in a playful way.
- renda teased her father about the powerboat that he bought but seldom used
very loud or loudly (for music)
very soft or softly (for music)
- a bothersome annoying person
- an unreasonable landlord could become a nuisance
impose a misleading belief upon (someone); deceive; fool.
- a small group of people with shared interests or tastes, especially one that is exclusive of other people.
- a coterie of friends and advisers
A hurdle is a barrier or other obstacle that a runner has to jump over during a race. If you trip on a hurdle, you probably won't win the race.
- a raw material or primary agricultural product that can be bought and sold, such as copper or coffee.
- item, material, product, article, object
- having or revealing a tendency to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity; excessively concerned with sexual propriety
- censorious, prim, prim and proper, moralistic
- the prudish moral climate of the late 19th century
- harass with persistent criticism or carping
- tease, torment, torture, bait
- burning fiercely
- on fire, alight, aflame
- inhale suddenly with the mouth open, out of pain or astonishment.
- a woman gasped in horror at the sight of him
- pant, puff, wheeze
- be enough or adequate.
- A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school
An exploit is a heroic act or notable deed. The King Arthur legends are full of stories of the exploits of the Knights of the Round Table, including Sir Lancelot and King Arthur himself.
- to obstruct legislation by talking at great length
- procrastination, obstruction
A tentacle is long, ropey thing that sticks out of an animal’s face. You probably think they’re gross. Octopuses probably think they’re cute.
Plants don't have arms or tentacles, but they have something a tiny bit similar:tendrils. Tendrils are thin organs of plants that wrap around other objects for support.
Taint means to contaminate. If your water supply is tainted with arsenic, you should stop drinking it right away.
To belie means to contradict. If you are 34 but look like you are 24, then your young looks belie your age.
- speak or perform in public without previously preparing one's words.
- improvise, extemporize, speak impromptu
- tending to avoid commitment or self-revelation, especially by responding only indirectly
- she was evasive about her phone number
- equivocal, prevaricating, elusive, ambiguous
never relaxing or slackening; incessant, relentless
Corollary describes a result that is the natural consequence of something else. You could say that your weight gain is a corollary of the recent arrival of a bakery across the street from your house.
a collection containing a variety of sorts of things; mixture