Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
describing a voice with very high (not low or deep) sounds
* Every good horror movie needs a few high-pitched screams.
to talk about problems or the negative aspects of things, just to
share one’s displeasure, without being constructive or presenting possible
* Dimitri told Loren to stop complaining about her job and start looking for a new
one that she’ll like better.
an attempt to imitate (copy) another person’s actions, words, and
behaviors, usually to entertain others
* Everyone laughed at the comedian’s impression of the Senator.
a phrase used to assert one’s independence and rudely
state that someone does not have authority over oneself
* You’re just my brother—you’re not the boss of me, so stop telling me what to
not the boss of me
to copy; to do what one sees, especially to do what another person
is doing or to say what another person is saying
* Peter is trying to imitate the local Welsh accent, but he doesn’t sound someone
from this area.
a movement made with one’s body, especially hands, to emphasize
what one is saying or to express oneself without words
* Doogie is an angry driver who often makes rude gestures toward other cars on
type of; kind of
* If you were creating a new country, what form of government would you select?
a lot of praise given to make another person feel good and/or to further
one’s own interests
* Do you really think that flattery will make the teacher give you a better grade?
an insincere imitation of someone or something, designed to make
others laugh in a cruel, mean way
* The other children applauded for Vinnie when he won the award, but it was
really a form or mockery, because none of them thought he deserved it.
a description of the qualities of a voice, including its pitch (high or low),
warmth, and strength
* The job applicant replied to the interviewer’s questions with a firm, assertive
tone that conveyed confidence.
an imitation of a person or thing that is bigger or broader than it should
be, intended to be funny through exaggeration
* Wow, this book is like a parody of my teenage years!
innocent and harmless, without trying to hurt anyone
* It was a mean joke, but he said it in good fun.
in good fun
unkind and cruel; inconsiderate; trying to hurt another person
* Their boss is a mean-spirited guy who never thanks them for their work and
always tries to take the credit.
to misinterpret something; to understand
something in the wrong way, especially in a way that makes one feel offended or
* Don’t take this the wrong way, but have you ever thought about getting a
professional haircut instead of having your mother cut it?
to take (something) the wrong way
to find the humor in one’s own actions and mistakes; to
be humble enough to not take oneself too seriously when one has done
something silly or wrong
* When Sienna fell off the stage, she had to laugh at herself for her clumsiness.
to laugh at (oneself)
a person’s sense of self-respect, self-confidence, and self-worth; how
important one believes one is
* Losing the game damaged his ego, but he’ll recover.