The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is CVA?
- *an ISCHEMIC stroke or "brain attack"
- *sudden loss of brain function resulting from a disruption of blood supply to a part of the brain.
- age (>55y/o)
- gender (male)
- race (african american)
- Atrial fibrillation
- Asymptomatic carotid stenosis and valvular heart dse
- peridontal dse
S/SX of CVA:
- GENERAL SX:
- numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg (esp on one side of the body)
- confusion or change in mental status
- trouble speaking or understanding speech
- visual dist
- loss of balance, dizziness, diff walking
- sudden severe headache
- MOTOR LOSS
- hemiplegia, hemiparesis
- flaccid paralysis and loss of or decrease in the deep tendon reflex (initial clinical feature) followed by reappearance of deep tendon reflex (after 48 hours) and increased muscle tone (spasticity)
- PERCEPTUAL DIST AND SENSORY LOSShomonymous hemianopia (loss of half of the visual field)
- dist in visual-spatial relations