Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Primary Sampling Units (PSU)
- PSU are groups consisting of states counties, or groups on contiguous counties.
- all surveying take place in the PSU
- It's the first stage in sampling Employment
- The strata does not cross state line
- the PSU are put into stratas
Ultimate Sampling Units
- USU is the second stage in sampling Unemployment.
- each USU consist of a cluster of about 4 adjacent housing units
- each person 16 and older who is in USU is selected to represent the entire USU
- Each person 16 and older who is in PSU and USU is selected to represent the Current Population Survey.
- The whole US sampling rat is 1-2000. It is bigger in state that have more people like california 1-3000
When bias operates more of less evenly across the same it cannot be detected just by looking at the sample data. Standard errors ignore that kind of bias.
Peoples responses change after a result of being interviewed.
- Employed (have a job)
- Unemployed (Don't have a job and currently) looking for one)
- Outside the Labor Force (The state of being neither) employed or unemployed
- Employed asked hours work and what type
- Unemployed asked last job why the left and how they are looking for work
- Outside the labor forced asked if they are keeping house going to school or unable to work for some other reason
Civilian Labor Force
Labor Force = consist of those who are either working or unemployed.
Labor Force = Working + Unemployed
Employment rate: = Unemployed (Divided) by Labor Force
Standard errors for cluster samples can be obtained by the half-sample method splitting the method into two halfs and seeing how well they agree.
It makes another survey following the same rule and compare the two. The difference is then added
- CPS = 150.2
- Independant Survey = 150.7
(150.5 + 150.7)/2 = 150.6
the two difference was due to chance error.
The Survey re weights the the sample so it agrees with census data on age sex race state of residence and certain other characteristics influencing employment status
If one group (white males) overrepresented is the survey more than the general population they are weighted to compensate for the Chance Error
The formulas for the standard error have to take into account the details of the probability method used to draw the sample. the formulas which apply to simple random samples will usually underestimate the standard errors in cluster samples
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview