FR 7 Crime
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Whenever practicable, an immediate response and personal contact with the victim(s) shall be made in every reported criminal incident. When it is not possible to initially contact the victim(s) due to injury, unavailability, etc., they shall be contacted___________________.
as soon as possible or practicable.
__________ member is also responsible for ensuring all evidence is handled in accordance with existing directives, and requesting laboratory examinations where appropriate.
Investigators shall make the initial evaluation to continue or immediately terminate an investigation and report their recommendation in the appropriate block on the investigative report. In all cases, the victim(s) shall be advised.
- That an investigation was/is being conducted on their behalf.
- That a report will be/has been prepared for our confidential file
- That they may be notified, at the discretion of the investigator, if any new or additional information is obtained
- To contact the investigator if they should obtain any information which would aid the investigation
In most cases, the initial assignment of a criminal investigation should be given to a Patrol Unit member; however, certain cases may require the assignment of a criminal investigator to conduct the initial investigation. Although not all inclusive, which of the following are examples of cases which will probably be assigned initially to a criminal investigator?
- Heinous or other serious crimes against the person
- Crimes of corruption, e.g., white collar crime
- Theft or embezzlement of large sums of public/private funds or property
- Any other incident which possibly or probably will evolve into a lengthy investigation
A supervisor’s decision to continue or terminate an investigation will be based primarily on the _____________________ nature and severity of the incident, presence of solvability indicators, presence of undeveloped leads, and practical administrative considerations. In most instances, a thorough review of investigative reports will provide sufficient information to substantiate a decision; however, a conference with the investigator may be required to answer remaining questions. Supervisors shall report their decisions in the appropriate block of the investigative report.
- the nature and severity of the incident
- presence of solvability indicators
- presence of undeveloped leads
- practical administrative considerations
Unsolved death or unsolved missing person investigations shall be assigned to an investigator to develop and follow up leads, and shall be reviewed and supplemented at least _________.
Unsolved death or unsolved missing person investigations may be terminated when the period of time since _____________________
The victim's death or disappearance is such that there is no logical hope the actor or victim
Unsolved death investigations may fall into one of the following categories:
- Criminal homicide
- Suspicious death (the cause of death is known, but the circumstances are of a suspicious nature).
- Deaths where no specific cause can be determined, but the circumstances are consistent with a homicide
- Unsolved traffic-related deaths (refer to FR 6 4, Vehicle Crashes).
Terminating an unsolved death or unsolved missing person investigation shall require a final _____________________and correspondence, Form SP 3-201, from the Criminal Investigation Section Commander, to be submitted, through channels, to the Director, Bureau of Criminal Investigation, ATTENTION: Special Investigations Division.
A. Continuation Sheet/Supplemental Investigation Report, Form SP 7 0051,
The primary functions of the State Police members assigned to Troop T are traffic patrol and other traffic related duties. In order to avoid diverting Troop T members from their primary responsibility through involvement in crime related incidents, the following procedure shall be utilized:
A. All Non-Traffic Death investigations shall be investigated by the appropriate county Troop.
When the circumstances surrounding a crime on the PA turpike related incident indicate that only a preliminary investigation (one that would not require a follow up investigation) is required_____________ shall conduct the investigation and prepare the proper reports.
the Troop T members at the scene
If at any time during or after the preliminary investigation, circumstances or information indicate that a follow up investigation is necessary, the appropriate Station, whose jurisdiction is adjacent to the Troop T location where the incident occurred, shall be notified. The determination to notify the adjacent Station shall be the responsibility of the ___________. Upon notification, the adjacent Station shall assume full responsibility for any further investigation and/or necessary action.
Troop T Station Commander
T/F All prisoners who are placed under arrest shall be searched at the discretion of the arresting officer?
T/F Under no circumstance, shall a person arrested for a motor vehicle violation, be stripped searched?
All strip searches shall be performed by _____, in a location where other persons cannot observe.
members of the same sex as the person to be searched
T/F A search warrant must be obtained before any body cavity search is conducted?
Of the following, which information is not required when transporting a prisoner?
T/F Prisoners shall only be transported in a security screen-equipped Department vehicle only?
When two members transport a single prisoner in a non-cage car the proper seating position is?
Accompanying member left rear, prisoner right rear.
T/F When a prisoner is transported by a non-department vehicle a member shall not restrain the prisoner in any manner?
When a prisoner is transported to a court facility, members shall.
- notify court personnel when prisoner is high security risk
- ensure prisoner documentation is provided to the court.
T/F All prisoners transported to a Department facility must be securely handcuffed/ restrained to a cuffing rail or other stationary object at all times, with the exception of processing, taking statements, etc.
The following applies to security of juveniles.
- ensure juveniles are separated by sight and sound from other adult offenders
- juveniles shall remain under direct, continuous, personal supervision and control
The Department issued protective spit-sock hood shall be used for any prisoner who spits, threatens to spit or vomit?
- Prisoners who spit or threatens to spit.
In the event of a prisoner escape, the member must notify.
- The Station
- Local Police Departments
- CLEAN message
Members and enforcement officers who are trained and authorized to carry a firearm may use deadly force to effect an arrest or prevent an escape when.
- Such force is necessary to prevent the arrest from being defeated by resistance or escape
- The person being arrested as committed or attempted a forcible felony, or is attempting to escape and possesses a deadly weapon, and there is probable cause to believe that the person to be arrested poses a threat or death or serious bodily injury to the member or enforcement officer or others
- If, when feasible, some warning has been given
True/False: Members are prohibited from firing warning shots under any circumstances.
True/False: Special restriction and warnings regarding firearms: Members shall only discharge a weapon when the use of deadly force is justified. Members shall shoot to stop the action by causing the instant incapacitation of the threat.
Members shall consider the totality of the circumstances when making a determination as to the reasonableness of using less than lethal force. Factors to consider.
- Severity of the crime
- Does subject pose a threat to member or others
- Is the subject armed, number of suspects and/or resisting arrest
When is the use of the ECD prohibited: (Less than lethal usage).
- near a flammable material
- the subjects fall could result in death
Near flammable material
The subject’s fall could result in death
When a member informs you that he/she just deployed their ECD at an incident, what is required?
- Have the member attempt to photograph any injuries
- Informed the member to detail the incident in their report
- Blue Team Entry
When is a Blue Team Entry required?
- ECD is discharged
- Pepper mace is discharged
- Issued baton is used on any person
When is it justified for a member conducting undercover criminal investigations to engage in sexual activity?
When their personal safety is in immediate jeopardy
Prior to conducting an investigation of an individual or business believed to be engaged in illegal conduct involving sexual activity, the member or supervisor shall __.
- Obtain prior approval from their Criminal Investigation Section Commander
- Attempt to devise a method/ploy, which will enable the member to successfully complete the investigation
- Never conduct this type of investigation unless provided backup by another member or Law Enforcement Officer.
True/False: A member recovering a vehicle shall notify the station or police department that has the theft/unauthorized use investigation of the recovery by the most expedient means.
- The Notice of the Motor Vehicle Recovery shall be prepared by the member making the recovery when.
- The owner is a resident and cannot be reached by other means within 48 hours
- The owner is a non-resident
- The owner has not claimed the vehicle within one week after an initial, unwritten notification.
- Note: The station conducting the theft shall cancel the CLEAN/NCIC Message.
A recovered vehicle may be released directly to the owner, title holder, or their authorized representative if the following criteria are met.
- The VIN has not been removed or falsified
- The registration card and proper identification was presented The vehicle has been processed for physical evidence by the Identification Unit, if appropriate.
A recovered vehicle which can be released directly to the owner at the place of recovery if the member making the recovery is reasonably able to remain with the vehicle until the owner arrives and the owner can respond to the location in approximately ____ of notification.
If it is anticipated that the Department will incur storage costs, the Section/Station Commander should attempt to get three quotes and utilize the low bidder. In no instances can storage costs exceed ______ without a Purchase Order.
PSP shall enter PFA orders, amendments, and revocations in the Statewide Registry within ___________ of receipt.
PFA orders and consent agreements shall be retained for ____ months from the issue date unless they are cancelled or expired. (PG2)
True/False: As soon as it is reasonably possible, all weapons seized as a result of a violation of a PFA order shall be delivered to the office of the sheriff.
Members shall make reasonable efforts to notify any adult or emancipated minor protected by a PFA order of the arrest of the defendant for violation of the order or for a domestic violence incident, as soon as possible. Unless the individual(s) cannot be located, notice shall be provided within ____ hours after the preliminary arraignment.
Personnel named as a Defendant is a PFA: Member notifies his/her supervisor. Upon notification, the supervisor shall ____.
- Enter a Blue Team, naming the plaintiff as the complainant and the defendant as the subject.
- IF a copy of the PFA is available, a copy shall be attached to the Blue Team Entry
- Note: A member who is named as a defendant in a temporary, emergency, or final PFA order shall be immediately placed on restricted duty by the Troop Commander or Bureau/Office Director.
True/False: When a juvenile is held securely in any Department facility. The information shall be recorded using a Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) form and sent to the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
A juvenile in the custody of a member shall not be held securely at a Department installation or elsewhere in excess of ___ hours.
- Note: Notify DPW Child Line if little Johnny is held for more than 6 hours.
What is the maximum number of officers present in the room during the interrogation of a juvenile?
When a juvenile is placed in detention, a petition shall be promptly made and presented to the court within ____ hours.
24, or the next court business day
True/False: A member /enforcement officer who securely holds an accused delinquent shall complete and submit a Juvenile Compliance Monitoring Administrative Notification/Message to the Director, Bureau of Criminal Investigation, via the Administrative Notification/Message Entry System via the PSPiNet.
If suspected and verified situations of child abuse, the member shall notify ChildLine or the child protective services unit of the appropriate county CYS and ____________.
- Complete a Report of Suspected Child Abuse, Form CY47 within 48 hours
- Submit the original Suspected Child Abuse, Form CY47 to the county child protective services unit and append the copy to the Staion copy of the investigative report.Record all attempts and contacts (date, time, name, title, and telephone) in the appropriate investigative report.
True/False: RISSafe shall be used for event deconfliction?
When would PaCIC notification be required for all Department investigations, including joint investigations and/or interdictions which results in the seizures of drugs, cash, illegally possessed firearms, any explosive device or explosive material or untaxed cigarettes equal to in excess of the following quantities.
- Cash equal to or in excess of $10,000
- Untaxed cigarettes equal to or in excess of 100 cartons
- Methamphetamine equal to or in excess of 50 grams
- Others that require PaCIC notification:
- Cocaine equal to in excess of 50 grams, or Processed marijuana equal to or in excess of 5000 grams, or marijuana grows equal to in excess of 50 indoor plants or 500 outside plants, or Heroin equal to or in excess of 10 grams of loose/unpackaged material, or 10 or more bundles of packaged material, Prescription/nonprescription drugs (to include synthetic marijuana, synthetic cathinones/bath salts, and other designer drugs) equal to or in excess of 500 pills/doses or, or three or more illegally possessed firearms or any explosive devices or explosive material seized during a traffic stop.
A Significant Drug Investigation Report: Members shall prepare and submit the listed report through channels within ____ days to the Director, DLED for all cash and drug seizures equal to or on excess of the quantities listed above.
All drug purchases of $____ or more require prior approval from the Director, DLED, or designee.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview