Mnr test 3.txt
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Interlocking rules are in effect at all interlockings.and at locations designated in the ____ ______ _____ or by _________ ________.
Line special instructions or by bulletin order.
Permission to pass a stop signal may be given by the RTC when a ______ _______ ________ cannot be displayed.
Proceed interlocking signal cannot be displayed.
Permission to pass a stop signal will not be given when the control system and rules permit a _______ ________ ________ to be displayed.
Proceed interlocking signal.
The train or track car must be stopped at the signal before ________ ____ ____ ____ ______ _ ______.
Permission to pass the signal is given.
The receiving employee must repeat this ____________ to the RTC and the RTC must then confirm it prior to beginning movement.
Trains and track cars receiving permission to pass a stop signal must operate at restricted speed until?
- Entire length of train has passed a location where a more favorable cab signal indication is received.
- Train or track car enters MBS territory
- Track car is clear of interlocking territory and is proceeding on form M authority
When necessary to reverse direction where interlocking rules are in effect, trains must have_______ _______ _________ or _________ _______ ____ ____ _____.
Interlocking signal indication or verbal permission of the RTC.
Movements not governed by interlocking signal indication must not be made until all ________ _________ have been lined and blocked.
A train that is stopped less than one engine length beyond an interlocking signal ______ that ________ must not proceed without verbal permission of the RTC.
Governing that movement.
Interlocking appliances must not be operated when a train, engine, or track car is ________ ___ or ______ ________ that appliance.
Standing on or closely approaching.
When an interlocking signal has been cleared for an approaching movement the signal must not be changed to a stop signal until:
- The train is stopped, as confirmed by a member of the train crew or other qualified employee, or
- The Engineer informs the RTC that the train can be safely stopped before reaching the signal.
In an ________ ________, a signal may be immediately changed to a stop signal.
When a proceed interlocking signal changes to a stop signal before a movement reaches the signal, the movement must be stopped ___ ______ ___ ______ _______ permits.
As quickly as safe train handling.
In the event of a failure of the CTC system ____ _____ may be substituted in accordance with rule 12 L.
Trains must not enter or foul a main track, or re-enter a main track after being clear of it, unless authorized by ____ ______ indication or _____ _________ ____ ___ ____.
Fixed signal indication or verbal permission of the RTC.
The RTC will not permit trains to operate against the established direction of traffic unless the track is known to be _____ ___ _____ and ______ ______ ______.
Clear of opposing moves and blocking devices applied.
Assist trains for disabled trains may be authorized to operate in the opposite direction of the disabled train:
- The disabled train must be issued form M line 7
- The assisting train will be issued a Form M line 8 authority after the RTC has determined that the track to be used is clear to the location of the disabled train
- The crew of the disabled train must provide flag protection for their train for a distance of 1/4 mile in the direction from which the assisting train is approaching
- The assisting train must operate at restricted speed between the locations specified on line 8
Trains and track cars must not move without verbal permission of the RTC when:
- Movement has been stopped between control points by instruction of the RTC or
- A new crew takes charge of unattended equipment located on a main track.
When a train has cleared the main track at a hand operated switch and the switches have been restored to normal position the _______, _______ or other _______ _________ must report clear to the RTC.
Engineer, conductor or other designated employee.
Equipment that may not ______ _______ ________ must have the permission of the RTC before operating in CTC territory.
Shunt track circuits.
In CTC territory trains must have _______ _________ of the RTC in order to make a reverse movement.
________ ______ when stopped at an interlocking signal governing their route may accept signal indication to make a reverse movement without verbal permission of the RTC.
Trains operating on tracks where CSS rules are in effect must be equipped with ______ ______ _______ ________ in the lead unit, unless otherwise authorized by timetable.
Operative train control apparatus.
When movement of non equipped trains is authorized, such movement will be made at ______ _______.
On all engines and cab cars, train control apparatus must be cut in and the ATC mode switch must be in the _______ ________ at all times except when operating where MBS rules are in effect.
Mode forward position.
Trains entering CSS territory from any non csx track must operate at _______ _______ passing the location where CSS rules take effect and not increase speed until the train has traveled one train length in CSS territory.
A daily cab signal test must be performed on train control apparatus by a _________ ________ ______ no more than 24 hours prior to departure of a train from a terminal or turnaround point.
Qualified maintenance person.
When there is no valid Cab Signal Certification form (ME-8C)in the cab on the leading end of the train, the Engineer shall perform a ______ ______ _______ _______, prior to operating equipment, in accordance with instructions in MN-401.
Cab Signal Departure Test.
A ______ _______ cab signal test will be performed by the engineer each time he sets up a cab for operation as lead unit on train.
The road train cab signal test will consist of?
- Examining all train control apparatus cut out switches for proper position and application of seals.
- Inspecting the Cab Signal Certification form (ME-8c) to ensure test completion within past 24 hours.
- Examine a lighted aspect of the cab signal display to ensure the system is energized
- Testing of audible indicator
- If the engine is not equipped with a mode selector switch, ensuring that the ATC is activated.
When the cab signal changes to a more restrictive indication the engineer must immediately?
- Acknowledge the audible indicator
- If the train speed is greater than the speed authorized by cab signal indication, apply brakes until train speed is reduced to the authorized speed.
When a cab signal changes to a more favorable indication, train speed shall not be increased until?
The train has traveled one train length.
When a cab signal momentarily changes(flips), the engineer will make a report to the RTC by radio as soon as possible incuding?
- Cab signal indications involved
- Whether the flip required acknowledgment
A train will be considered to have a train control apparatus failure(failed train) when any component of the train control apparatus fails to operate as intended such as:
- The audible indicator fails to sound when required or continues sounding when nor required.
- The speedometer is inoperative, reading 0 MPH when the train is moving, or there is a constant No-Motion (v zero)indication.
- It is necessary to operate the cut out switch for the cab signals, ATC,ATS, or any other component of the train control apparatus, except when necessary for operation in MBS territory.
- Damage or fault occurs to any part of the train control apparatus
- Train experiences continuous cab signal flips.
A train will be considered a failed train when the train receives a cab signal indication(other than a flip)that is not in __________ with fixed signal indication or observable track occupancy or track conditions.
If the cab signal indication is more favorable than fixed signal indication, track occupancy, track conditions or allowable speed for diverging route, the engineer must ________ ________ ______ ____ ___ _____ and call the RTC for instructions.
Immediately bring his train to a stop.
When a train experiences an enroute train control apparatus failure the RTC must be notified of the nature of the failure as soon as possible. The engineer will ____ ____ only those portions of the train control apparatus that are necessary to allow movement of the train.
In addition to notifying the RTC, engineers will complete a cab signal incident report in accordance with instructions in the MN-401 and submit this report to the ________ or _________ ___ _______ prior to competing his assignment.
Yard,aster or employee in charge.
When a train control apparatus failure occurs, train must not proceed until _______ ____ _____ ___ _________ .
Engineer has notified the conductor. Other members or the crew must be notified of the train control apparatus failure.
From the point of failure to the next interlocking signal, a failed train will operate at?
For all subsequent blocks the RTC must display the ______ ______ ______ for failed trains.
Absolute block signal.
When governed by Absolute Block Signal failed trains will operate at?
- Slow speed within interlocking limits
- MAS not exceeding 59 MPH outside of interlocking limits, approaching interlocking limits prepared to stop.
When the RTC cannot display an absolute block signal, failed trains may, with verbal permission of the RTC, accept a ____ ____ ______ and proceed at __________ _____.
Proceed cab indication and proceed at restricted speed.
Form M,s must be ________ and without ________ or ________.
Legible, without erasure or alteration.
Form m's must be received by employees who are _______ __ _______ ______ ________ _____ and _________. ___________.
Qualified on Metro North Operating Rules and Physical characteristics.
Form M,s must not be received by employees who are ______ the controls of a moving train or track car.
Form M,s are being dictated and repeated, numerals in the address and on lines 1 though 14 must be pronounced ____ __ _____.
Digit by digit.
Once the form M has been _____ ______ the RTC will provide the time effective and the RTC's name.
The employee receiving the Form M will then repeat the ____ ______. The RTC's name and will provide his craft and last name.
If an error is discovered in a form M ____ ____ _____ ___ ____ ____ the RTC must direct all receiving employees to destroy their copies.
Prior to giving the time effective.
If an error is discovered in a Form M ______ _______ ___ ____ _____, the form M must be cancelled.
After giving the time effective.
Only the following information can be added to a form M once it is made effective?
- Block(s) clear (line 11)
- Extension of time allowed under line 1,2 or 3 authority (line 13)
- Cancellation or fulfillment information
- The name and craft of the employee receiving the form M
Form M 's remain in effect until _____ or _________.
Fulfilled or cancelled.
Form M's that are fulfilled or cancelled must have the ______ and _____ noted on the appropriate line and be marked with an x through the body of the form M.
Date and time.
Form M's will be numbered ________ by dispatching district.
For trains form M's must be addressed to?
The conductor, engineer and pilot if applicable.
MBS rules are in effect on tracks indicated in the?
Line special instructions or by bulletin order.
MBS rules may be placed in effect instead of CTC and CSS rules by?
Bulletin order or Form M line 9.
When MBS rules are in effect, only one train or track car(or multiple track cars under a single form M authority)may occupy a block, except in the following cases.
- For the purpose of rescuing disabled trains
- For the purpose of making a reverse movement at a hand operated or interlocked switch.
To occupy a block a train or track car must be given authority by the RTC indicating that there are no trains or track cars in that block?
- Scheduled trains must receive a form M line 1 authority and form m line 11 indicating the block is clear.
- Extra trains and track cars must receive a form M line 1 for movement in one direction or line 2 for movement in either direction, plus a blocks clear indication on line 11.
Block limits are designated in the _______ _______ or by bulletin order.
Temporary block limits are established by?
Bulletin order or form M line 10.
Trains unless issued block clear authority by form M line 11 for subsequent blocks?
- Reduce to medium speed upon passing Approach block limit sign rule 11D(2)
- Approach the block limit sign (rule 11-d(3)
- Not pass the block limit until provided with blocks clear authority by form m line 11
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview