The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
an inflammatory autoimmune disease that affects the connective tissues of the heart, joints, skin (subcutaneous tissue), BV and CNS.
RF manifests 2-6 weeks after an untreated or partially treated group β-hemolytic streptococcal infection of the upper resp tract.
rheumatic heart disease; affects cardiac valves particularly the mitral valve
- ~fever: low grade fever that spikes in the afternoon
- ~elevated anti-streptolysin O titer
- ~elevated ESR and C-reactive protein
- ~(+) aschoff bodies (lesions): found in the heart, BV, brain, and serous surfaces of the joints and pleura
- chorea: involuntary movt of extremities and face; affects speech
- carditis: inflammation of all parts of the heart (mitral valve)
- erythema marginatum: red skin lesions starting on the trunk and spreading peripherally
- polyathritis: tender, painful joins (elbows, knees, ankles, wrists)
- subcutaneous nodules: small, nontender, swellings over the joints
- ~control joint pain and inflammation with massage and alternating hot and cold application
- ~bed rest: acute febrile stage
- ~limit P.E (+) CARDITIS
- ~salicylates, antiinflammatory (should not be given if dx is not yet done. can mask polyathritis)
- ~seizure precaution