- (past tense, past participle meant /ment/)
- 1- to (intend to) express, show or indicate
- querer decir
’Bleu’ means ’blue’ in French
What do you mean by (saying/doing) that?
- 2 - to intend
- tener la intención, tener pensado
I meant to go to the exhibition but forgot
For whom was that letter meant?
He means (= is determined) to be a rich man some day.
- 3. meaning noun
- › the sense in which a statement, action, word etc is (intended to be) understood
What is the meaning of this phrase?
What is the meaning of his behaviour?
- 4.meaningful adjective
- › (often used loosely) important in some way
- a meaningful statement/relationship.
- 5. meaningless adjective
- › without meaning or reason; of no importance
- sin sentido
- be meant to›
- to be required or supposed; to have to
- suponer, deber, tener que
The child is meant to be asleep!
- 6. mean well
- › to have good intentions
- tener buenas intenciones
He meant well by what he said.