The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a Warning?
An operating procedure or practice that, if not correctly followed, could result in injury, or death. (GAI 000 WP 2 PG 2 Section 31, NFM 000 Pg 56, MRC 200 Card IV)
What is a Caution?
An operating procedure or practice that, if not correctly followed, could result in damage to or destruction of equipment (GAI 000 WP2 Pg2 Section 31, NFM 000 Pg 56, MRC 200 Card IV)
What is the difference between the ramp over ride knob and the rescue hoist over ride knob? Which one is shear wired?
Ramp override knob is spring loaded to the detent position. (Ramp: NFM 000 2-122 184.108.40.206
- Rescue hoist override knob is not spring loaded and can be left in any position. SHEAR WIRED
- (Rescue Hoist: NFM 000 2-114 2.24.3)
What are MRC's?
Maintenance Requirement Cards
- -MRC - 100 (Turnaround Cards)
- -MRC - 200 (Daily Deck)
- -MRC - 300 (Special)
- -MRC - 400 (Phase)
What is the 4790, and what chapter applies to Plane Captains?
COMNAVAIRFORINST 4790.2A CH2 Naval Aviation Maintenance Program (NAMPSOP)/ CHAPTER 10.14
What are the following cards?
- -Pre-Flight, Post Flight, Daily, Turnaround Card
- -SE Pre-operational check card
- -Plane Captain Designation
How many Hydraulic Systems are on the aircraft?
5 (U1, U2, 2nd Stage, 1st Stage, Rotor Brake) NFM -000 2-51 (2-23 Rotor Brake)
Which hydraulic system powers which servos?
21/12/11 ( or remember 21, 12, 11/A, M, T):
- - AFCS Servos: 21 = 2nd Stage & Utility 1
- - MR Servos: 12 = 1st Stage & 2nd Stage
- - TR Servos: 11= 1st Stage & Utility 1
- (NFM 000 2-51 2.9.5/ 2-53 220.127.116.11 & 18.104.22.168
Where are the hydraulic de-servicing points on the aircraft?
2/1/1/2 ( or remember 21,12)
- - 2= 2nd Stage
- - 1= Utility 1
- - 1= 1st Stage
- - 2= Utility 2
(Starting at the port side forward hatch (Gunners window) the de-servicing point have blue caps)
Where are the servicing points for each hydraulic system?
- - Utility 1: 3T-49 (Port Side, fwd of MGB)
- - 2nd Stage : 47-7 (Stbd side, fwd of MGB/Nitrogen gage co-located)
- - Rotor Brake: 4T-91 (MGB oil cooler Compartment)
- - 1st Stage: 4T-91 (MGB oil cooler Compartment)
- - Utility Two: 4T-91 (MGB oil cooler Compartment)
(GAI-000 WP 9 Pg 15 Figures A-D)
What is required to be shear wired on the MH-53E?
- Cabin: 4 Emergency escape hatches (top latch), Emergency Exit Lights (5-only 4 installed), crewman's rescue hoist cable shear switch, hoist cable shear circuit tester, rescue hoist over ride knob. (MRC-200 Card 2.3 - E)
How do you properly inspect the co-rotator?
Check "co-rotating damper for play" (MRC - 200 Card 3.3
How do you properly de-service the #2 NGB?
There is no #2 NGB (NFM 000 2-14 2.3.1)
When do you want the nose of the aircraft to be faced in to the wind?
- - During high wind conditions
- - Prior to the Crew walking for pre-flight
- (NFM 000 3-11 3.9 "CAUTION"
Where are gearboxes and hydraulic systems serviced to?
- Full / Green Gold (GAI 000 WP 11 Pg 24
Where are the pitot static drain lines?
- In the Nose Landing Gear Wheel well Port Side FWD (MRC 200 Card 3.4)
Where in the NLG wheel well do you find the emergency blow down bottle cable?
Aft wall, port side
When checking the IGB/TGB servicing, what needs to be done to ensure the gage is not stained?
Shake the pylon to make sure the oil level moves (MRC -100 Pg 6 "WARNING"
What does the NATOPS say about servicing aircraft to max fuel loads?
Ensure that ALL main fuel tanks remain selected after high level shut-off is achieved, fuel flow light extinguished. *** DO NOT deselect fuel tank selectors switches *** (NFM 000 2-32 "Caution"
When is the damper accumulator properly serviced?
1/2 "below (over serviced) to 1 1/2" over (under serviced) (GAI WP 11 Pg 65)
What are the systems serviced with nitrogen on the aircraft (11)? ("S" Pattern)
- - Tire
- - Landing Gear Struts
- - Rescue/Cargo Hoist Accumulator
- - Landing Gear blow Down Bottle
- - #1 and #2 APP Accumulators
- - Tail Skid accumulator
- - Main Rotor Head Blades
- - 1st Stage Hydraulic Accumulator
- - Damper Accumulator
- -2nd Stage Hydraulic Accumulator
- (NFM 000 Pg 3-2 & 3-4)
What are the sub-systems of U1 (10)? ("S" Pattern)
- Landing Gear Extension/ Retraction
- Wheel Brakes
- Rescue / Cargo Hoist
- AFCS Servo 2
- Cargo Winch
- Ramp / Door Control
- Tail Rotor Servo (Secondary)
- Blade / Pylon Fold
- APP / Engine Start
- (NFM 000 2 - 51 2.9.5
What are the proper steps to servicing 1st or 2nd stage?
- TURN OFF ALL HYD / ELEC POWER
- -"NOTE" make sure hose from portable HSU is full before connecting it to filler disconnect
- - Clean hydraulic disconnect with low lint cloth
- - Bleed hydraulic system until fluid flow is free of bubbles using a container to catch hydraulic fluid
- - Service to high end of GREEN area
- - Re-connect filler disconnect cap
- - Secure all panels when complete
- (GAI 000 WP 11 Pg 27)
What does the APP EMER switch bypass?
- High EGT 621 Celsius
- Low Oil Press 6 + / -1
- (NFM 000 2 - 36 2.6.2
What are the six engine start interlocks?
- Pylon Unsafe for Flight
- Blade Fold Safety Valve is Open
- Pitch locks are advanced
- Rotor brake is not fully pressurized (975 psi)
- Mechanical gust lock is engaged
- Head is not in start position
How many interlocks are bypassed when the Engine EMER START switch is placed to EMER???
All Six are bypassed (NFM 000 2-7 "CAUTION"
Where are the MGB filter buttons located?
- (1 button) STBD side AFT on the bottom side of the gearbox (Open the drip MGB pan)
- (2) STBD side of the MGB inside the aft MGB Access Door (4T-88) (Yellow button and Red button)
How are corrosion prone areas identified in the Daily Deck?
"C" in the CRN (Corrosion) column on the card (MRC 200)
How much play can be in the Brake disk keys?
(MRC 200 Card 3.9 #20 Line D)
What is the proper PPE while on the flight line? Flight Deck?
- Goggles (Smoked lenses DAY ONLY / Clear lenses Mandatory at Night)
- Safety boots (Steal Toe)
- Float Coat (Shipboard use)
Who wears the following color flight deck jersey/cranial on the ship?
- Red - Ordnance / Crash and Salvage
- White - None flight related personnel
- Blue - Handlers
- Purple - Fuel
- Yellow - LSE
- White w / Green Cross - Safety
- White w / Red Cross - Medical / Dental
- Brown - Plane Captains / PC trainees
- Green - Maintainers
(NA 80T-120 H1 and H2)
What are your 3 APP Protective CB's?
- High EGT 621 Celsius
- Low Oil Press 6 + / -1
- Overspeed 110%
- (NFM 000 2-35 2.6.1
What are the 3 lights that require you to shut down the APP as per the NFM-000?
- U1 OIL HOT
- ACC GB OIL PRESS
- ACC GB OIL HOT
- (NFM - 000 PG 7-17 "NOTE"
What 4 indications will cause you to manually abort an APP start?
- No RPM indication (Needle doesn't climb on RPM gage)
- 621 Celsius without protective circuit breaker popping
- Hung start greater than 4 seconds (Needle hangs up on RPM gage)
- No Clutch Engagement (APP ON Light fails to illuminate"
- (NFM 000 7-16 "CAUTION" GAI 000 WP 008 Pg 6 "CAUTION"
What are the radioactive areas on the aircraft?
- IBIS Indicators (Grenades)
- IBIS Detector (Small amount discharged)
- Ice Detector (Located in the Heater Intake)
- HF antenna (Disabled by weight on wheels switch)
- (GAI 000 WP 5 Pg 6 Section 12
What is a butt line?
An invisible line that runs fwd to aft and splits the aircraft down the center (GAI 000 WKPKG 2 Pg. 10-11
What is a waterline?
An invisible line that runs fwd to aft and splits the aircraft bottom to top (GAI 000 WKPKG 2 Pg. 10-11)
What are the proper grounding procedures when fueling?
- Truck to ground
- Helicopter to ground
- Truck to helicopter
- Nozzle to helicopter
- (GAI 000 WP 11 Pg 11 Section (1)
What is ORM?
Operational Risk Management
- IDENTIFY THE RISK
- ASSESS THE HAZARDS
- MAKE RISK DECISIONS
- IMPLEMENT CONTROLS
Where are the thermal discharge indicators, and how are they inspected?
- Two red caps above the Port sponson. If the pressure in any fire bottle becomes too high the appropriate safety valve will open, the thermal discharge indicator seal will be ejected, and the extinguishing agent will be discharged overboard. Make sure the two red caps are present during inspection.
- (NFM 000 2-127 MRC 100 Card 3)
What is the emergency cargo release handle in the cockpit used for?
- Dual Point hook system
- (NFM 000 2-110/109 2.23.2)
How long after a flight do you have to wait to take fuel samples?
- 2 Hours
- (COMNAVAIRFORINST 4790.2A CH10 10.2.4.2A)
How long after a failed APP start will you wait to attempt a restart? Why?
- 2 minutes to prevent a hot start
- (NFM 000 7-15 "CAUTION"
How long after removing electrical power is it suggested you wait to move the Aircraft?
- At least 20 minutes to let the vertical gyros completely stop.
- (GAI 000 WP 006 Pg 26 "CAUTION")
What are the U2 subsystems (3)?
- AMCM Winches
- Tow Boom
- (NFM 000 2-52 2.9.6)
What is the proper nomenclature for the following?
- Grenades - IBIS INDICATORS
- Taco Shell - Tail Rotor Pylon Trailing Edge Access Cover
- Beanie - MAIN ROTORHEAD FAIRING
- Milk Stool - PITCH CHANGE BEAM SUPPORT
- Banana Reservoir - SLEEVE AND SPINDLE
- Hockey Puck - VERTICAL HINGE PIN RESERVOIR
- Go No Go fuel filter - HIFR FILTER
- Broom Closet - AFCS SERVO COMPARTMENT
- Star Wars Gage - STICK POSITION INDICATOR
What do you do if you have hydraulic chatter?
- Place EMER start switch to "EMER"
- Actuate Engine Starter after generators are on
- (NFM 000 2-38 "NOTE")
What do you do if you have relay chatter?
- Place Generator switch "OFF"
- Turn generators back on
- (NFM 000 2-38 "NOTE"
What does the AGB operate (6 items)?
- Forward Side (L to R)
- - #1 Generator
- - Engine Start Pump
- - #3 Generator
- Aft Side (Left to Right)
- - U2 Hydraulic Pump
- - U1 Hydraulic Pump
- - 2nd Stage Hydraulic Pump
(NFM 000 2-16 2.3.3
How long is a daily good for?
How long is a T/A good for?
How do you prime an APP?
- Place the APP start handle to "RUN"
- Use the fuel prime handle just fwd of mid cabin on the STBD bulkhead near the deck
- Pump NO MORE THEN 3 TIMES to prevent a hot start
- (NFM 000 2-35 2.6)
What is the purpose of a transmission system?
To change the angle of drive and to reduce RPM through reduction gearing
What does HERO stand for?
Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation to Ordnance
What is hydraulic fluid used for when listed in the daily deck as a consumable?
- Clean shock strut and drag strut
- (MRC 200 3.1, 3.3, 3.4)
When you're the PC on a preflight where should you be when the HAC walks out to the aircraft?
Stationed at the rotor arc ready to greet the HAC and inform them of any discrepancies.
Where should trainees be during the crew preflight?
- Actively employed
- - Servicing
- - Ragging
- - Assisting with Pre-flight/Closing up aircraft
How long before the crew is scheduled to preflight should you start the PC preflight?
Approx 1 Hour
What do you do during a PC preflight?
Check all systems, components, and quantities to find possible gripes before the crew walks.
When you take fuel samples what are you looking for in the fuel sample?
- Water, Particulate matter (rust, sand, dust, aluminum or magnesium compounds), Microbiological growth
- (NAVAIR 01-1A-35 WP 007 PG 8 Table 7-3
What are the #1 & 3 NGB driven by?
- The #1 & #3 engines respectively
- (NFM 000 2-14 2.3.1
What are the following Hazardous Materials used for?
- MIL-G-81827: Aircraft Grease
- MIL-PRF-81309: (CPE) Corrosion Prevention Compound
- MIL-PRF-83282: Hydraulic Fluid
- MIL-PRF-680 Type II/III: Dry Cleaning Solvent
- MIL-DTL-5624: JP5/JP8
- MIL-PRF-85570: Aircraft Cleaning Compound
- MIL-PRF-85734: Gear Box Oil
- MIL-PRF-21260: TR Hub/Sleeve and Spindle/Vertical Hinge Pin Engine Oil
(GAI 000 HMWS 5-11)
What is the max fuel load of the MH53E?
(GAI 000 WP 11 Pg 13 Table 2 (MH-53E Chart) (NFM 000 2-26 Figure 2-11
How much does a gallon of JP5 weigh?
(NFM 000 3-6 Figure 3-3) (GAI 000 WP 11 Pg 13 Table 2) (NFM 500 Aircrew Ops 4-1)
What function is performed on the HIFR filter during a Daily Inspection?
Drain fuel into container to remove contamination from trapped fuel areas
(MRC 200 Card 2.7)
What is the tire pressure for the MLG?
(GAI 000 WP 11 PG 43)
What is the tire pressure for the NLG?
(GAI 000 WP 11 PG 43)
What does the Weight on Wheels Switch disable?
- Prevent landing gear from retracting while on deck (Disables ALE-39/47)
- Prevents fuel dump while on deck (Opens the isolation valve)
- Enable the stick position indicator to operate. There are more but these apply most to APP starts on deck
(NFM 000 2-80 2.14.4
What do you want to make certain of when approaching an aircraft with hung landing gear?
Aircraft is grounded prior to touching the aircraft
Where are your landing lights?
(2) on either side of lower nose section
(NFM 000 2-48 2.8.12
Where is your hover light?
(1) Bottom Aft section of the fuselage
(NFM 000 2-48 2.8.12
Where are your anti collision lights?
Bottom FWD fuselage and top of tail pylon
(NFM 000 2-48 2.8.14)
How many chip detectors are on the Aircraft? Where are they? Which ones have special characteristics?
- 14 (5) MGB/ (2) AGB/ (1) TGB/ (1) IGB/ 1 each engine (3)/ 1 each NGB (2)
- Engines have no fuzz-burn off
- TGB/IGB - Temp/Chip Combined
How many drive shafts are there on the aircraft?
(NFM 000 2-16 Figure 2-7)
What does the stick position indicator do?
Identifies the necessary blade pitch position required for pitch lock engagement
(NFM 000 2-85 2.15.2)
Who should be on the flight line to recover aircraft in T-1?
NO ONE, Aircraft will self recover
What is a move director's responsibility?
Overall responsible for the move
What is on the 4790/141?
- A/C BUNO # (AIRCRAFT SERIAL NUMBER)
- TMS (TYPE/MODEL/SERIES)
- RPT CUST (REPORTING CUSTODIAN)
- OXY (OXYGEN)
- FUEL GRADE
- PC SIGNATURE
- SAFE FOR FLIGHT
- PILOT IN COMMAND
Who is required to be on a Plane Captain board?
- Maintenance Officer
- Safety Officer
- Line Division Officer
- Line Division Petty Officer (4790/158)
What must be done if the APP is to be operated with the cover open?
- Fold the main rotor blades
- Use an APP exhaust deflector
(GAI 000 WP 008 Pg6 #3 B)
Can the APP be started in EMER with the APP Control Circuit Breaker in the "OFF" position?
NO, because over speed cannot be bypassed
What do the following acronyms stand for?
- Engine Air Particle Separator All Tools Accounted For
- Maintenance Requirement Card Corrosion
- Variable Load Energy Absorber Things Falling Off Aircraft
- Auxiliary Power Plant Foreign Object Damage
- Longitudinal Bias Actuator Personal Protective Equipment
- Airborne Mine Countermeasures Helicopter In Flight Refueling
- Force Augmentation System Navy Oil Analysis Program
- In-Flight Blade Inspection System In Accordance With
- Damper Accumulator Helicopter Aircraft Commander
- Blade Inspection Method Internal Communication System
- Automatic Flight Control System Material Safety Data Sheet
- Contact Memory Button Main Landing Gear
- Main Rotorhead Gas Generator Turbine Speed
- Compressor Discharge Pressure Pitch Control Rod
- Pocket Checklist Monthly Maintenance Plan
- Pounds Per Hour Outside Air Temperature
(NFM 000 PG 49-53 GAI 000 MR 200)
What type/model engines are on the MH-53E?
(NFM 000 2-1.1.1)
Who is required to observe an aircraft move in and out of the hangar?
SAFE FOR FLIGHT qualified individual
What are the rotor brake pressures and associated lights?
- 10 PSI - "ROTOR BRAKE PRESS" caution light
- 40 PSI - Rotor Positioning
- 350 PSI - Soft Brake
- 975 PSI - Hard Brake "ROTOR BRAKE ON" advisory light
(NFM 000 2-23 2.4 & 2.4.2)
What are the selector valve positions on the hand pump (Airman Pump) aft of the personnel door?
- A. Accumulator #2/Ramp
- B. Tail Pylon Fold/Unfold
- C. Accumulator #1
(NFM 000 2-34 2.6, GAI 000 WP 11 PG 55 Figure D)
What does CAD stand for?
Cartridge Activated Device
Where are CADs located?
- Engine Fire Bottles
- Single Point External Hook
- AMCM Guillotines
- Rescue/Cargo hoist
How is the aircraft pressure de-fueled?
- Ground truck, aircraft and nozzle properly
- Hook up to fuel adapter
(GAI 000 WP 12 PG 2)
How is the aircraft gravity refueled?
- Ground truck, aircraft and nozzle properly
- Remove covers on top of sponsons
- Insert suction hose
- When complete with suction, refuel the remainder of the tank through the drain valve on bottom of the tank
(GAI 000 WP 12 Pg 9)
What do you want to make sure to do to the wheel brakes if it is below 0*C/ 32*F?
DO NOT engage them
(GAI 000 WP 6 Pg 5 "NOTE"
How long do you have to wait after shutting down the heater before securing the APP?
(NFM 000 2-99 "NOTE") (NFM 500 Aircrew OPR 3-15 Section: APP Shutdown)
What is mounted on the MGB?
- #2 Generator
- 1st Stage Hydraulic Pump
- #2 Engine Nf Tachometer
- Rotor Positioner (2-10 2.2.1)
- #2 Nf Flex Shaft
- Nr Tachometer
- Rotor Brake (2-23 2.4)
What is T-1?
THUNDER CONDITION 1 Lightening within 10 miles
What is T-2?
THUNDER CONDITION 2 Lightening within 25 miles
What types of fuel can be used in the MH-53E?
- JP-5 NATO F-44 (PRIMARY FUEL)
- JP-8 NATO F-34 (PRIMARY FUEL)
- JET A-1 NATO F-35 (ALTERNATE FUEL)
- JP-4 NATO F-40 (IMPOSES OPERATIONAL RESTRICTIONS ON THE AIRCRAFT)
(NFM 000 3-6 Figure 3-3 15-4 15.1.3)
Where do you find the weights for fuel, and why is that important?
It is important to know because the aircraft fuel gages are weight oriented. If an aircraft is cold fueled, you need to know how much a gallon of fuel weighs in order to convert weight to gallons for the fuel truck operator.
(NFM 000 3-6 Figure 3-3 NFM 500 Aircrew OPR 4-3 GAI 000 WP 11 Pg 13 Table 2)
How many ICS stations are on the A/C (internal/external)?
13 Total (11 Internal/2 External)
(NFM 000 15-3 15.1.1 15-4 15.1.3)
What are the blade fold interlocks (4)?
- A speed control lever out of shut-off
- The gust lock is engaged
- The pylon is unsafe for flight
- The MGB oil pressure switch is pressurized
What are the Blade Fold Lights on the Blade Pylon Fold Panel (in order)?
- Pylon Unsafe for Flight
- Blades Folded
- Pitch Locks Engaged
- Pitch Locks Advanced
- Head in Fold Position
- Safety Valve Open
- Blades Spread
- Flight Ready
(NFM 000 FO-1 GAI 000 WP 9 PG 7 Figure F)
What is disconnected for an engine wash?
- T2 Lines
- P3 Lines
- 14 Stage Bleed Air Line
- Feedback Cable
(GAI 000 WP 6 PG 56 F)
What is the cargo winch serviced with?
(GAI 000 WP 11 PG 62)
What are MANDATORY voice and / or hand signals the pilot must adhere to?
Wave-Off and HOLD
(NFM 000 8-3 "WARNING"
How do you manually dump the rotor brake?
- Center section of the cabin overhead
- On the rotor brake reservoir by pushing down on the plunger
(NFM 000 2-24 2.4.4)
How many ice detectors are there on the aircraft?
(2) Heater intake (electronically) & above Pilot side window (Visual)
(NFM 000 2-100 2.21.1)
How many fire detectors are on the aircraft?
15 divided up as follows:
- 2 - APP/AGB Compartment
- 2 - Main Transmission Area
- 3 - #1 Engine Compartment
- 3 - #3 Engine Compartment
- 5 - #2 Engine Compartment
(NFM 000 2-125 2.27.1)
What is the purpose of the safety valve?
To provide hydraulic pressure for rotor head positioning, blade fold, and pylon fold selector valves.
(NFM 000 2-84 2.15.1)
What is the purpose of the isolation valve? When is the isolation valve open?
The isolation valve closes and renders U1 subsystems inoperative in flight, except when a subsystem is activated. On deck the isolation valve remains open continuously with electrical power applied to the aircraft.
(NFM 000 2-51 2.9.5)
When the pylon is folded, where should the TGB and IGB be serviced to?
- Top of the bulls eye on the TGB
- Bottom of the bulls eye on the IGB
(GAI 000 WP 11 PG 38 Figure B)
What are the four positions on the fuel drain valve?
- Lock Open
- Push to Open
- Lock Closed
- Replace Seal
(GAI 000 WP 11 PG 20 Figure C)
What do drive shafts do?
(NFM 000 2-14 2.3)
When checking your LBA on a Daily Inspection what are you checking for?
(MRC 200 Card 2.4)
When starting the APP, at what point do you have fire detection?
You have fire detection when the APP clutch engages at 92%
(NFM 000 2-126 2.27.13)
At what point during an APP start do you have fire protection?
- 100% of the time
- Mechanically actuated APP fire T-handle & fire guard in front of the aircraft
(NFM 000 2-128 2.27.34)
Where do you find a list of acceptable substitutes for servicing fluids?
(NFM 000 3-7 & NFM 500 "CHART"
How do you properly service the windshield washer reservoir?
- 100% water in temperatures not expected to drop below 32*F/0*C
- 60% ETHYLENE GLYCOL (Alcohol)/ 40% water in temperatures below freezing.
(GAI 000 PG 54)
What are the proper items needed to grease a tail disconnect?
- Rubber Gloves
- B-4 Stand
- Safety Wire
- Acetone Brush (Acid Brush)
- Grease (MIL-G 81827)
- Lint Free Rags
- Alcohol - Dry cleaning solvent (MIL-PRF-680TYPEII)
Why AREN'T the windshield wipers operated on a dry windshield?
The glass could be scratched
(NFM 000 2 - 100 "Caution"
Where does the heater get its fuel from, and at what PPH?
#2L, 54 PPH
(NFM 000 2-98 2.18.2)
Where does the APP get its fuel from, and at what PPH?
#2 R, 80-180 PPH (depending on OAT and accessory loads being used)
(NFM 000 2-35 2.6)
What are the 2nd stage M/R Servo Bypass interlocks (4)?
- MGB oil pressure switch below 14+/-2
- Gust lock unlocked
- engine speed control lever at shut off
- blade fold master switch at MASTER POWER
(NFM 000 2-85 2.15.1)
When will your pitch lock advanced light EXTINGUISH on a blade spread evolution?
When all 6 pitch locks have retracted
(NFM 000 2-85 2.15.1)
When will you get the following lights with the APP online?
- Blade Pylon Fold: When Blade Fold MASTER POWER switch in "ON" or when the gust lock is "ENGAGED"
- 2nd Stage M/R Bypass: When the pitch lock switch is moved to "ENGAGE"
- Safety Valve Open: When positioning the Rotor head or when Blade Fold MASTER POWER switch in "ON"
- Rotor Locked: When the gust lock is "ENGAGED"
(NFM 000 2-84-2-85 2.15.1)
What is the fuel capacity for the following tanks?
- #1 914.6
- #2L 691.6
- #2R 691.6
- #3 914.6
(NFM 000 3-6 Figure 3-3) (NFM 500 Aircrew Opr 4-3)
When attempting to set pitch locks, what position does the collective need to be in?
(NFM 000 2-84 2.15.1)
How many cabin dome lights are there?
(NFM 000 2-46 2.8.7)
How many position lights are there?
3 (PORT sponson -red, STBD sponson-green, tail-white)
(NFM 000 2-48 2.8.14)
How many anti-collision lights are there?
2 (Bottom of aircraft & top of tail)
(NFM 000 2-48 2.8.14)
How many emergency exit lights are there?
5 (4 installed)
(NFM 000 2-47 2.8.9)
How many cabin emergency exit lights are there?
4 (when sound proofing is installed)
(NFM 000 2-47 2.8.9)
What are Wiggins fittings? Where are they?
- It is a quick disconnect pressure refueling fitting used for HIFR
- (2) Center cabin overhead FWD of MGB (1) STBD wall center cabin
How many breakaway valves are there, and how are they divided up in the cabin?
- (29) - 13 Port Bulkhead
- 13 STBD Bulkhead
- 3 Overhead
How many fire bottles are there?
(NFM - 000 2-127 2.27.3)
Where do you find the Radios/NAV AIDS/IFF switches (as listed in your cockpit preflight section of the NFM 500)?
Located on the center cockpit console
(AIRCREW OPR SECTION PG 3-3 #2 (FO-1/FO-7)
Where are plugs installed on the aircraft?
- MGB Oil Cooler Exhaust
- #1,2,3, Engine intake
- #2 Engine Exhaust
- Heater Exhaust
Where are covers installed on the aircraft?
- Pitot Static Tubes
- #1 & #3 Engine Exhaust
- IBIS Detectors
- Fuel Probe
- Pilot / Co-pilot ICS stations
(GAI 000 WP 6 Pg 20 Figures)
What is the max tow speed?
5 MPH or as fast as the slowest wing/tail walker
(GAI 000 WP 006 PG 26)
What is the height of the aircraft pylon spread?
What is the height of the aircraft pylon folded?
What is the width of the aircraft (head spread)?
79FT (Rotor diameter)
What is the difference between the APP fire T-handles and the Engine fire T-handles?
- App fire T-handle is mechanically actuated giving you the ability to discharge the fire bottle agent into the APP/Heater compartment without electrical power.
- Engine fire T-handles are electrically actuated and require electrical power to discharge the fire bottle agent into the selected engine compartment.
(NFM-000 2-27 22.214.171.124 & 126.96.36.199)
Who conducts an ATAF for each tool prior to and after launch, recover, and turn up operation of assigned aircraft?
Plane Captain - "THIS INCLUDES ATAF OF TROUBLE SHOOTERS TOOLS"
(COMNAVAIRFORINST 4790.2A 10-185 Letter "O"
How are NO STEP areas identified?
Areas without non skid are NO STEP areas
(GAI-000 WP 5 PG 6 Section 7 & 8)
How do you properly service the engine oil tanks?
- Through the auxiliary oil system in the cabin ONLY.
- DO NOT service engine oil tanks through the filler neck.
(NFM 000 3-8 3.2.1 GAI-000 WP 11 PG 17 Section 6 "CAUTION"
What is the small hook at the fwd most part of the aircraft on the nose below the nose E-bay?
Water Tow Point
(GAI-000 WP 6 PG 16)
What engine do you motor for hydraulic chatter?
The one YOU pre-flighted
What are the procedures to follow if you experience a runaway tail? (6 steps)
- STOP THE EVOLUTION!!!
- RADIO INTO MAINTENANCE CONTROL!!!Turn the tail into the wind
- Move the Aircraft to the throat
- Spray tail in opposite direction of spin with fire hose
- Move aircraft into the hangar aft end first and close the doors
What is the Norfolk Naval Base Emergency phone number?
What is the proper ATAF procedure to use for tool control? (5 Steps)
- 1. ATAF when checking tools out
- 2. ATAF when you get to the aircraft, or your job site
- 3. ATAF periodically throughout the evolution
- 4. ATAF when the job is complete
- 5. ATAF when turning tools in
What does a proper APP start up evolution consist of?
USE YOUR CHECKLIST THROUGHOUT THE EVOLUTION!!!!
- 1. Read the ADB
- 2. Fill out a Major Evolution Brief Sheet
- 3. Preflight the APP/AGB/Engine/Head/Cabin/Cockpit sections as per the NFM 500
- 4. Pull all anti-ice circuit breakers (as per HM-14 SOP #304)
- 5. Pull engine ignition circuit breakers
What's a Major Evolution Brief Sheet?
A form filled out in Maintenance Control that provides the names of all personnel involved in a particular maintenance action, their roll in that function, and a safe for flight signature stating the action will be performed as briefed.
What is the MSDS? Where is it located?
The Material Safety Data Sheet is used to identify all Hazmat located in the tool room/GSE and contains information on what to do if hazmat is ingested, inhaled, comes in contact with skin, ect.
What is the 18 inch rule?
Inspect the area you are working on and 18" around that area.
Who do you go to for unsafe maintenance practices?
Quality Assurance (QA)
Who can authorize you to put the APP to EMER during an APP start?
Maintenance Officer or higher
Where is your oil consumption form located?
What do foul lines look like?
5 lines alternating between black and yellow (black/yellow/black/yellow/black)
Where are foul lines?
- Outside the hangar (PPE Required prior to crossing this foul line)
- Encompassing the rotor arcs (Tool boxes, GSE, and securing equipment kept inboard of these foul lines between rotor arcs)
- Running the length of the sea wall
What do taxi lines look like?
- 3 lines alternating between black and yellow
- (black, yellow, black)
Where should fire bottles be kept when not actively used?
- Between aircraft spots in between foul lines
- *** By Direction of the Safety Officer***
Where should fire bottles be while taxiing aircraft into a spot?
On the side of the aircraft spot in between foul lines until the aircraft comes to a complete stop. This is in case the aircraft cannot stop.
What does FOD do?
Damages/Destroys Aircraft & Kills Crew Members
When riding brakes on a ship what PPE are you required to wear?
- Pilot/Aircrew flight vest (Pilot or Aircrewman ONLY wear flight vest)
- Float Coat with salt water activation pill REMOVED
What should you consider doing when starting the APP on cold weather days?
- Pull the APP accumulator T-handle
- Prime APP (No more than 3 pumps)
what is the proper way to dispose of HAZMAT?
Take it to the tool room and dispose of it in the proper receptacle
Where are the eye wash stations/showers in the main hangar? MCM Hangar?
- Main Hangar
- * 2 located on the SOUTH Wall Next to the garage doors
- * 1 located in each DET
- MCM Hangar
- * 2 located in the MCM sled Bay on opposite walls (outside A/C Country and outside First Class Mess)
- * 1 Located in each shop (16A and 16B)
Where is the squadron spill kit located?
Outside of the tool room/ MCM DRIVE-THROUGH
What should you do if you see an aircraft taxiing by you with a popped (open) latch?
- If possible to get the attention of the pilot attempt to do so, and give the hold signal to the aircraft
- If not possible, use a radio to call into maintenance so they can get a hold of the aircraft
What are your steps when you discover you have a lost tool?
- Spend no longer than 5 minutes looking for the tool
- Report the missing tool to your work center supervisor
- Report the missing tool to Maintenance Control and QA
- Fill out a missing tool report
Who is the HM-12 Safety Officer?
Who is the HM-12 Maintenance Officer?
Who is the HM-12 Safety Petty Officer?
Where do you find information on what to do if you ingest fuel?
What do you do if you discover a bad fuel sample?
- Drain approx. 1 gallon of fuel
- Take another Sample
What is the MMP?
- Monthly Maintenance Plan
- Includes all aircraft qualifications for personnel in the command including Plane Captains
How many people do you need to conduct a tail fold operation?
- 4 Individuals
- * APP qualified individual
- * Handler Qualified individual on Fire Bottle
- * Plane Captain qualified individual on Long Cord
- * Individual on tail sticks
What do you do if you find a cut in the sidewall of a tire?
WRITE IT UP!!!
What do you do if you find a cut in the tread of the tire?
WRITE IT UP!!!
What if a CDI tells you the cut is good?
WRITE IT UP, AND HAVE THEM SIGN IT OFF!!!
What would you do if you were preparing to recover an aircraft and you saw the aircraft about to land with the MLG or NLG still retracted?
- Give the aircraft a WAVEOFF signal
- Radio in to maintenance, or have another person run into maintenance and have them radio the aircraft
- DO NOT LEAVE YOUR POSITION in case the aircraft attempts to recover again
SCENARIO: What do you do if you're the late/weekend watch and you see an aircraft on the flight line with a free spinning head and tail?
What are the two ways you can stop a runaway head (free spinning)?
- Apply external electrical power and re-engage the rotor brake
- Start the APP and re-engage the rotor brake
Can safety wire be used in place of shear wire?
If the HAC is a LT, and the co-pilot is a CDR which is the pilot you will present yourself and the aircraft to at preflight?
Lieutenant. Always go by who is listed on the top of the flight schedule, that's who is signing for the aircraft.
What does DEMOT stand for?
- AD - T-1
- AE - T-2
- AM - T-3
- AO - T-4
- AT - T-5
When the head is online how do you enter and exit the rotor arc?
You enter and exit the aircraft from the 3 o'clock or the 9 o'clock position
When entering or exiting the rotor arc, who do you look to for clearance?
The crewman on long cord. DO NOT ENTER OR EXIT WITHOUT CLEARENCE!!!
What color lenses should be in your goggles if your working at night?
When servicing Gearboxes to full what should time be given for?
Letting the oil settle to get an accurate reading, and NOT OVERSERVICE the gearbox
THINGS TO REMEMBER: NEVER SIGN FOR SOMEONE ELSES WORK!!!