Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
4 Basic Types of Tissues
collection of cells that perform a common function.
What is Epithelial tissue?
Cells that form a tight, continuous network
Where is Epithelial tissue found?
- Surfaces of the body and organs
- lining of body cavities
Function of Epithelial tissue?
Epithelial cell shape (3)
Epithelial cell layering (3)
- Simple- 1 layer
- Stratified- multiple layers
- Psuedostratified- falsely stratified
What is Connective tissue?
Cells widely separated from each other in a matrix.
Function of Connective tissue-
- form & function
2 matrix regions
- Ground substance- liquid, gel, gum
- Fibers- Non elastic & Elastic
Fibrous Connective Tissue (2)
- Loose- takes up space, wrapped around organs
- Dense- tendons & ligaments
Supportive Connective Tissue (2)
Fluid Connective Tissue
3 blood cells
- Erythrocytes- red blood cells
- Leukocytes- white blood cells
- Platelets- form clots
What is the most abundant tissue in most animals?
What is the muscle cell called?
Function of Muscle tissue-
Skeletal Muscle Tissue (3)
- Multi nuclei
What is the most abundant tissue in chordates?
Skeletal Muscle Tissue
Cardiac Muscle Tissue
- 1-2 Nuclei
Smooth Muscle Tissue (3)
- No Striations
- 1 Nucleus
What does the Smooth muscle tissue line?
- Cavaties- stomach, intestines, uterus, bladder
Function of Nervous Tissue-
Conducts impulses from one region to another.
2 Basic Nervous Tissue cell types-
- Neurons- main part
- Neuroglia- all other parts
Importance of Neurons-
Structure and functional unit of nervous system
Importance of Neuroglia-
Insulates and supports neurons
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview