East Asian Studies
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who is the Author of the Spiral Road?
Author history of the Spiral Road
- Born in mainland china
- raised in Taiwan
- his father associated with nationalist party and his family had to flee to Taiwan
Author's current position
- Professor of Anthropology at Iowa State University
- He was on sabbatical and decided to do research work interested in Xiamen University in China
Why to China?
- because china started to have economic reform and let foreigners in
- also he had a lead over his colleagues because he was from China and understood the language
- at first his family was to go with him
- but then there was a complication
- so the family had to stay and he went alone
author's experience at Xiamen university in 1984
- He felt like an isolated prisoner
- his liberal teachings interferred with the communistic maoist teachings
- he was very bored
- areas in the university were very shielded
- he did not like very little interaction between him, students, and colleagues
- he decided to reroute his research and conduct fieldwork at an agricultural community, Lin Village, outside of Xiamen city
meeting P.S Ye for the first time?
- Party Secretary Ye tried to cheat him into paying for higher rent
- Author did not like that P.S. Ye interfered with the agreement between him and the landlord
developing relationship to Ye
- Ye confided in the author one night after the desecration of P.S. Ye's fathers grave
- Author decided to listen to P.S. Ye and promote a rapport between them
- He helped him by taking photos of the grave and listening to P.S. Ye grieve
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview