Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is anthropology
the study of human beings
4 fields of anthropolgy?
why are the 4 fields all part of anthropology?
not all archaeologists and biologists or linguists anthropologists
Anthropology is a discipline:
What is a discipline?
- has a history (people & events)
- is informed and structured by theory
- has areas of knowledge and modes of rigorous thinking (there is a way to think anthropologically)
- has accepted methods, a language and writing style
why is jargon necessary for all disciplines?
what is personal discipline?
how one leads their life
what is the role of critique
why are details important
why is language important? grammer? Jargon?
What do theories do?
- provide us with framework to b able to interpret data
- differrent theories enable us to see the same data in alternative ways (ex. materialistic vs. feministic)
- they imply methodology
types of theories:
- grand theory
- middle range
- particular theory
- explains things in simple fashion
- (evolution in some ways is a grand theory)
middle range theory:
set of theories or propositions that bridge the gapbetween the empirical observation and broad, often abstract and untestable, general or high-level theories
- modern theories
- ex. globalization
why not absolute truth?
it is a metaphysical issue not a scientific one
- the structure of scientific revolutions
- a core of understanding the theory and science
- agreements on what a discipline studies and core theories.
- asks what questions are appropriate to ask
- changes grand theories and other disciplines
- science does not work in evolutionary system
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview