Gases from burning fossil fuel (nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide) combine with water in the atmosphere to form nitric acid and sulfuric acid.
- The acids lower the pH of precipitation (make it more acidic).
- Acid Rain Affects
- Nutrients are lost from soil; more aluminum which suffocates tree roots.
- Run-off water with aluminum from soil which suffocates fish.
- Makes aquatic ecosystems more acidic, harming organisms who live there.
- Acidic water mutates and kills eggs and babies of many species of fish.