The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are most seedling diseases considered?
What three ways do seedling diseases reduce crop stands?
- -seed rot: seeds are infected before germination resulting in rotting of the seed
- -pre-emergence dampening off: seedlings are infected and killed before emerging from the soil
- -post-emergence dampening off: seedlings are infected and killed soon after emerging from the soil
What are the most important genera that cause seedling diseases?
- They are from the genera pythium and phytophthora
- - they are considered stramenophiles because they produce zoospores in soil
- - they also produce thick walled oospores (from meiosis) that serve as the primary survival structure in soil and plant debris
Environmental conditions for seedling diseases
- -heavy souls
- -high soil moisture and low temps
- -basically any environmental condition that is not optimal for growth or stresses the will predispose it to infection
How to control pathogens causing seedling diseases
- -apply fungicides or biological control agents to seed
- -heat treat or fumigate greenhouse soil or transplant beds
- -seeding or transplanting when conditions favor rapid emergence and growth of the crop
- -breed disease resistant cultivars