Chapter 13 Assisting with Personal Cleanliness and Grooming
- Understand how personal care can affect a person's physical and emotional health.
- Incorporate the five principles of care when assisting a person with personal care.
- List observations that should be reported when assisting a person with personal care.
- Explain why mouth care is important, and describe when mouth care should be provided.
- Explain how to maintain the hair.
- Explain how to assist a person with shaving, and describe safety measures that should be observed.
- Explain general principles to follow when assisting a person with dressing or undressing.
- Explain how to assist a person with maintaining vision and hearing aids.
- Explain why hand care and foot care are important.
- Explain general principles to follow when assisting a person with perineal care.
- Explain the benefits of bathing.
- Explain the benefits of a back rub.
After practicing the corresponding skills, you will have the information needed to:
- Assist a person with natural teeth, a person with dentures and an unconscious person with mouth care.
- Brush and comb a person's hair.
- Wash a person's hair in bed.
- Assist a person with shaving using a safety razor and an electric razor.
- Assist a person to dress and undress.
- Assist a person to insert and remove an in-the-ear hearing aid.
- Assist a person with hand and foot care.
- Assist a person with perineal care.
- Give a person a complete bed bath.
- Assist a person with a shower or tub bath
- Give a person a back rub.