Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who came up with the continental drift hypothesis?
Alfred Wegener in 1915
Conditions for continental drift hypothesis.
- -Fit of continents
- -Fossil evidence
- -Rock type and structural similarities
- -Paleoclimatic evidence
- -Pangaea breaking apart about 200 mill. y. a
- The apparent movement of the magnetic poles indicates that the continents have moved.
- (Indicates Europe was much closer to the equator when coal-producing swamps existed)
- -North America and Europe are separated by about 24o Longitude
- Earth's magnetic field periodically reverses polarity. (North and South switches)
- -Dates determined from lava flows
- -Flips the remnant magnetic inclination of the rocks 180o
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview