Ecology Chapter 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Number of inhabitants of the same species in a certain area
- Rapid growth in population
- Usually occurs only under special conditions i.e. new habitat or a lot of resources
- doesn't last long
- limiting factors restrict it
- Something that limits how much a population can grow
- i.e. resources, space
- Size of population that can be supported indefinitely
- by the resources/conditions of an ecosystem
- Population size is at equilibrium with carrying capacity
- When a resource is used at a pace exceeding the ecosystem carrying capacity the new population size will decrease to a new equilibrium
- The humans carrying capacity is unknown
- The role and position a species has in its environment; how it meets its needs for food and shelter, how it survives, and how it reproduces.
- A species' niche includes all of its interactions with the biotic and abiotic factors of its environment.
An animal that eats something lower on the food chain
An animal that is eaten by a predator
- The relationship between two different species in which both benefit
- e.g. bees and flowers
An animal that lives on/in another organism (known as the host) and thrives at the hosts expense
- Two animals of the same or different species compete for a resource or land
- e.g. a mate
The use of a resource or the like in a way where it will never run out
The time it takes for a population to double in size
- The negative impact a person or community has on its ecosystem
- Expressed as the amount of land needed for their use of resources
A pattern that leads to a decline in the effectiveness of an ecosystem
Using resource so they can be used forever
Ecosystem services are the benefits provided by ecosystems that contribute to making human life both possible and worth living.
- the process by which fertile land becomes desert
- result of drought, deforestation, or inappropriate agriculture
- Tourism which is sensitive to an ecosystem
- activities which are provided by the ecosystem
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview