The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- The number and variety of organisms found in specific regions.
- Example: Pine trees, berry bushes, bunnies, deer, tigers, bears, sparrows, bacteria.
- To legally guard from harm a species that is listed as endangered, threatened, or of special concern.
- Example: Black rhino, cross river gorilla.
- A place where there is an exceptionally large number of species in a relatively small area.
- Example: Amazon, coral reefs.
All the populations of the different species that interact in a specific area or ecosystem.
- A species that is so abundant that it has the biggest biomass of any community member.
- Example: Humans, plants.
- A species that can greatly affect population numbers and the health of an ecosystem.
- Example: Kelp, sea otter.
- The breeding of rare or endangered wildlife in controlled settings to increase the population size.
- Example: Arabian Oryx
- A species that causes such dramatic changes to landscapes that it creates a new ecosystem.
- Example: Beavers, kelp
- The series of changes in ecosystems that occurs over time following a disturbance.
- The destruction of habitats, which usually results from human activities.
- Example: Deforestation, dumping in bodies of water.
The practice of clearing forests for logging or other human uses, and never replanting them.
- A species that is accidentally or deliberately introduced to a new location, usually as a result of human activity.
- Example:Rats, cane toads, cats.
- A species that can take over the habitat of native species or invade their bodies.
- Example: Zebra muscles, the black rat.
- The use or extraction of a resource until it is depleted.
- Example: Fish, forests.
- The death of all of the individuals of a species.
- Example: Dodo birds, mammoths.
The current accelerated rate of extinctions on earth.
The renewal of degraded or destroyed ecosystems through active human intervention.
- The regrowth of a forest, either through the planting of seeds, or trees in an area where a forest was cut down.
- The use of a species to control the population growth or spread of an undesirable species.
- Example: Cane toads, cats, monitor lizard.
The use of living organisms to clean up contaminated areas naturally.
- The use of organisms to add essential nutrients to depleted soils.
- Example: Bacteria