Lecture 1 wk 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
exploratory surgery is
open up the body and talking a look inside to see what was wrong and what could be done about it.
the study of the structure and function of individual cells
take a tissue sample, thinly sliced and stain them to observe them under a microscope. (microscopic anatomy).
define gross anatomy
structures that can be seen with the naked eye by observation, radiology, or dissection.
-name the medical imagery that penetrates tisues to darken photographic film beneath the body.
-Dense tissue appears white
name the medical imagery that injects or swallows radiopaque substance. fills hallow structures, blood vessels, and intestinal tracts.
name the medical imagery that uses low-intensity x-rays and comuter analysis.
-slice-type images, and increases sharpness of image.
Computed tomography or CAT scan
name the medical imagery that assesses metabolic state of tissues, distinguishes tissues most active at a given moment.
-mechanics-inject radioactively labeled glucose.
-image color shows tissues using the most glucose at that moment, and damaged tissues appear dark.
Positron emission tomography (PET scan)
____ is the force that holds together the atoms in a molecule created when an atom gains or looses or shares an electron.
1) ____ is a very strong bond may be polar or non polar, and share an electron
2) a strong bond where an atom gives or takes an electorn
- 1) covalent bond. H2
- 2) ionic bond NaCl
which molecule has the weakest bond
molecules or compounds have 2 or more atoms that chemically share a bond?
molecules or compounds are a molecule formed by two or more different elements
type of chemical reaction that builds a molecule
type of reaction that breaks apart a molecule
type of reaction that switches molecules in a reaction
type of reaction that may occur both directions, and name the reaction that only occurs one way
reversible and irreversible
what's the role of a catalyst
to speed up a reaction or *decreases activation energy
1) reaction that forms by removing water to synthesize a reaction
2) reaction where organic molecules are broken apart by adding hydrogen
- 1) dehydration
- 2) hydrolysis
list 3 disaccharides
- 1) sucrose=glucose=fructose
- 2) lactose=glucose+galactose
- 3) maltose=glucose+glucose
List 3 polysaccharides
- 1) glycogen
- 2) starch
- 3) cellulose
which of 2 fatty acids are good for us
-Unsaturated (w/o H+) are good (oils)
-Saturated are not (w/H+) usually solid fats.
Triglycerides are a type of fatty acid that's main job is...
2 types of reactions of the body
1) catabolism: decomposition reaction that releases energy (exergenic)
2) anabolism: energy storing reaction that requires energy to produce protein or fat. (endogenic)
- 1) energy releasing through decomposition
- 2) energy storing by synthesizing reactions
a homogenous mixture of solute disolved in solvent is known as a
1 ) in an aqueous solution the solvent is
a solution containing dissolved ions (allowing it to conduct electricity is known as what kind of solution
1) a positive atom that gains and electron is known as a ____
2) a positive atoms that looses an electron is
name 7 of the most abndant electrolytes in the body
- 1) Na (sodium)
- 2) K (potassium)
- 3) Ca (calcium)
- 4) Mg (magnesium
- 5) HCO3 (bicarbinate)
- 6) PO4 (phosphate)
- 7) Cl (chloride)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview