IS Policy Ch 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Historical Issues with IT
- 1. IT strategy just supporting business
- 2. Limited understanding of business strategy
- 3. Limited understanding of IT's potential by business managers
Current View of IT
- 1. IT strategy should be integrated with business strategy
- 2. IT must be positioned for speed, flexibility, innovation to support a rapidly changing IT environment
- 3. Compliment business strategy
Future view of IT
IT’s potential to affect the top line
- 1. Dynamic and focused on developing strategic capabilities that support a variety of changing business objectives.
- 2. IT and business alignment supporting evolutionary change.
IT Strategy Critical Success Factors (4)
- 1. Revisit business model
- 2. Have strategic themes
- 3. Get the right people involved
- 4. Work in partnership with the business
1. Revisit business model
Business model explains how the different pieces of the business fit together.
Should be clear and describe the unique value that the organization can deliver.
2. Have strategic themes
Carefully crafted programs that focus on developing specific business capabilities.
IT and business programs that are grouped in strategic themes are easier to track and support interdependencies.
3. Get the right people involved
- 1. Sr Mgmt should take an active role in IT decision making
- 2. Key stakeholders should be involved
- 3. Relationship/account managers
4. Work in partnership with the business
1. Business & IT must both have input
2. IT projects should be synchronized w/ business objectives
Low-risk investments w/ short-medium term payback.
Streamlining business processes
Transforms or extends how company does business
- -Revenue Growth is key
- -Cost benefit not clearly established
Small Scale & experimental. Test new concepts/technology. Often do not have funding due to lower success rate.
Leverage results of other companies (tech is easy to imitate)
- Integrated IT & Business blueprint.
- Helps with identifying duplicate solutions.
IT Strategy Development - Best Practices (5)
Link IT Strategy to Business Strategy - BUDGETING
- 1. Rolling budgets
- 2. Enterprise Architecture
- 3. Different Funding buckets
- 4. Relationship mgrs
- 5. Prioritization rubric for project funding
Barriers to IT Strategy Dev (5)
- 1. Governance structure for enterprisewide projects
- 2. Enterprisewide funding models
- 3. Traditional budget cycles
- 4. Strategic vs. tactical initiatives
- 5. Skills in strategizing
Explains how the different pieces of a business fit together
Ensures everyone in an organization is focused on the kind of value a company wants to create.
STRATEGIC IT PROGRAM INITIATIVES (5)
- 1. Business improvement
- 2. Business enablement
- 3. Business opportunities
- 4. Opportunity leverage
- 5. Infrastructure
IT Strategy Key Concept
IT strategy is mainly about getting the balance right between conflicting strategic imperatives (Short-term vs. long-term view).
Business and IT Strategies Co-evolve to Create New Capabilities
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview