IS Policy Ch 5
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Principles of Good Communication (4)
- 1. Effectiveness is measured by outcomes
- 2. Social Behavior
- 3. Shared Knowledge improves communication
- 4. Mature organizations have better communication
Principle 3 - Shared Knowledge Improves Communication
The more IT staff knows about the business, the better for communication
Shared Knowledge is beginning of virtuous cycle
Virtuous Communication Cycle
IT people understand business better. Leads to increased communication. Leads to more success. Leads to more communication and improved relationships.
Principle 4 - Mature Organizations have better Communication
Strong organizational practices support & reinforce good interpersonal communication
Appropriate communication @ both strategy & operational level.
Obstacles to Effective Communication (5)
- 1. Changing nature of IT work (multiple cultures, times zones, virtual contacts)
- 2. Hiring Practices (soft skills needed vs. technical only)
- 3. IT/business org structures (silos)
- 4. Nature & frequency of communication (formal vs. informal)
- 5. Attitude - Desire to be right vs. desire to communicate effectively
T-Level Communication (4)
- Thinking, Talking, Listening
T-Level - Translation
IT managers must translate IT’s operational performance into business performance and drive home the message that all IT initiatives are business initiatives.
IT Technology Issues --> Business Impact --> Business Solutions --> IT Solutions
T-Level - Tailoring
IT staff adapts communication to audience
-Understand needs, agendas, politics
- Choosing suitable communication method (reports, face to face, emails)
T-Level - Transparency
Business to understand what IT is doing and what it costs.
Honest, accurate, ethical, respectful communication.
Communication flow both ways
T-Level - Thinking, Talking, Listening
Get inside the head of business. Understand how to talk and how to listen
Improve IT-Business Communication (5)
- 1. Make importance of communication visible
- 2. HR develop new skill expectations and roles
- 3. Develop communication skills formally and informally
- 4. Increase nature and frequency of communication
- 5. Spend more time on communication.
Sharing of tacit and unstructured knowledge, which takes place in low-risk and informal settings, that contributes most to effective communication
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview