The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What "time" Are anal glands located at?
Why should you wash the area with Accel after secreting anal glands?
To keep the dog from licking it and throwing up due to ingesting the anal gland secretion
How are anal glands normal secreted?
When the animal deficates
What "Time" are the opens to the anal glads located?
4 and 8
What is the normal color of secretion from anal sacs?
a brown or tan and watery
What are some abnormal anal sac secretions?
- any other color
What is the basic plan for when an animal comes in with a ruptured anal gland?
Express and fill with antibiotics
Before giving a bath what should you do with the shampoo?
Read the label for correct contact time, application, and if needed to be diluted
How do you prep an animal for bath?
Cotton balls in ears and ointment for eyes
What is the basic procedure to bathing a dog? (five steps)
- 1) place in tub and soak animal with warm water
- 2) with palm size dollop of shampoo lather in hands
- 3) work into and animal starting at the head and work towards the tail
- 4) Rinse animal with a ruff and scruff motion to get to the under coat and continue until no more suds
- 5) Dry, lift dog out with towel, and mark in file
Procedure for dipping animals? (6 steps)
- 1) Place in run or tub
- 2) use ladle/cup to pour onto dog
- 3) work dip into fur
- 4) Use gauze or cloth to apply to muzzle and face
- 5) Allow animal to air dry (unless otherwise directed)
- 6) mark in file
What is important to do before dipping an animal?
Read the direction and dilute the dipping solution! All of them are different
What are the three items we use to stop nail bleeding?
- Styptic powder
- Quick stop
- silver nitrate sticks
What materials do you need before clipping nails?
- cotton balls or item to stop bleeding
What should you do for each nail trim you do?
- Use the same pattern (start with the same paw) for each nail trim
- Watch for dew claws
- have a restrainer
Nail clipping procedure?
- 1 paw at a time
- gently squeeze paw to expose claw
- after cutting the tip of the nail clip the sides
- "Peel like a banana" and work around the nail towards the quick
- showing a quick can push soft tissue back to have shorter nails
what are the three layers of the nail?
What are the three scales commonly used in clinics
- Gram scale
- baby scale
- floor scale
What does a gram scale measure with?
what does a baby scale measure with?
pounds and ounces
what does a floor scale measure with?