Lisinopril (prinivil,zestril) (ACE inhibitor)
- Therapeutic class: HF/HTN
- Pharm Class: ACE inhibitor
- Preg Cat: C first trimester, D second and third trimester
- MOA: Inhibits Angiotensin converting enzyme which stops RAAS. Decreases BP by letting kidneys excrete sodium/water preserves potassium.
- Indications: Antihypertensive/HF/ protection of renal failure for diabetes.
- Contraindications: Hyperkalemia,angioedema caused by ACE inhibitor therapy. Should not be used during pregnancy.
- BLACK BOX WARNING: Fetal injury and death may occur. discontinue during preg.
- Adverse effects: Cough, headache dizziness, orthostatic hypotension, rash. Serious: Cx pain, angioedema.
- Interactions: NSAIDS/ indomethacin may decrease antihypertensivity of ACE inhibitor. Monitor closely if they're on a diuretic as well, fall risk. Electrolyte levels for hyperkalemia.