Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What causes black stem rust of small grains?
- Puccinia graminis f.sp tritici (wheat)
- f.sp avenea oats
- f.sp secalis rye
How does black stem rust damage its host?
- destruction of leaf area
- increases the evaporative water loss due to breakage of the epidermis and cuticle of the plant
How is black stem rust controlled?
- mostly disease resistant cultivars
- eradicating barberry
- systemic fungicides
Describe Puccinia graminis life cycle
- It is heteroecious
- overwinters as teliospores
What causes Cedar-Apple Rust?
Describe cedar-apple rusts life cycle
- biennial disease cycle (takes two years for completion)
- survives has a dikaryotic mycelium in woody galls on junipers during its second year.
How are teliospores disseminated?
from orange gelatinious tendrils that exude from woody galls in the spring during wet weather
How are aeciospores disseminated?
- from rostelia (light colored tendril like structures)
- they are wind disseminated and infect the needles of junipers in the summer
How is cedar apple rust controlled?
- separating apples trees from junipers by more than a quarter mile
- growing disease resistant apple varieties
- applying foliar fungicide
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview