Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Digital Scene Matching Area Correlation (DSMAC)
missile takes pictures of the ground, compares it to a greyscale digital map in its computer, and corrects its flight path
Terrain Contour Matching (TERCOM)
missile uses radar to determine its altitude, compares it to mean sea level & database, and adjusts its altitude
missile uses almanac data in its computer to determine where in the sky to look for the GPS (Global Positioning System) satellites; this reduces the time it needs to determine its position using GPS (newer the almanac, the better/quicker the missile can do this).
Tactical Tomahawk Weapon Control System (TTWCS)
new COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) system for controlling Tomahawk missiles
Vertical Launch System (VLS)
located in two areas, forward (29 missile cells, 3 crane cells used for loading/unloading missiles) & aft (61 missile cells, 3 crane cells)
max Tomahawk initial salvo
max follow-on salvo
22 (due to restrictions of the 28V DC power supply per half module, 8 cells per module) This is called half module constraints:!
3 of the lifelines behind the Aft VLS launchers are made of
metal vice kevlar; otherwise, theyd melt!
1000lb warhead, conventional explosives
6 multiple warheads, in 3 sections per side (each section consists of sub-munitions, i.e. cluster bombs); missile can engage 4 targets (3 tgts using 2 sections, one from each side, then the missile itself)
1000lb warhead, conventional explosives (lighter, more modern explosive material, so it packs a bigger punch)
- via record message traffic (so it has to be typed into the computer) or electronically (downloaded directly into the missile).
- Paper (Message Traffic) Electronic (Straight to TTWCS)
- LSP Allows for planning. Cannot spin missiles or fire ESP-L Allows for planning. Cannot spin missiles or fire
- Indigo- Authorization to spin missiles and fire ESP-E Authorization to spin missiles and fire
DBM (Data Base Management)
database that keeps track of shipping and navigational hazards
EM (Engagement Manager)
uses DBM to set up waypoints around shipping, hazards, etc. to get the missile to its first preplanned waypoint
MM/LC (Missile Manager/Launch Controller)
MM picks which missile to use and fire, keeps track of all Tomahawks aboard ship. LC actually fires the missile (full salvo of 24 takes about 2-3 min).
Each missile plan has a starting waypoint; the EM can put in up to 5 waypoints before that to get the missile from the ship to the first preplanned waypoint.
- (Time of Arrival)
- Time the TLAM actually arrives at FPPWP
- (Time on Top)
- arranging missiles to arrive at the target at a coordinated time
- (Time of Launch)
- used for fast reaction, just to enable a quick launch
- (Mission Data Update)
- updates the targeting plan via EHF radio, telephone, or network protocol
Post Launch Execution: Tomahawk 4Es are controllable after launch via:
- aimpoint update (same target, different spot)
- flex (redirect missile to an alternate preplanned target)
- retarget (redirect missile to a completely new target)
- (Electronic Key Material System)
- the crypto codes used to access secure military satellites for GPS and communications with missile in flight.
Range of TLAM C D E
- .1 TLAM C 1000nm
- .2 TLAM D 700 nm
- .3 TLAM E 1000 nm
Global Command Control System Maritime
- uses the GCCS-M to manage track database.
Internal Navigation System
- (INS, WSN-7)
- Used to tell Tomahawks where the ship is at launch
TCOMMS (Tomahawk Communications)
Used to connect TTWCS with all SATCOM.
Toxic gas dampers
prevents the toxic gas resulting from launches from entering the ship
siren to notify weather decks that a missile (or missiles) are launching
Booster Drop Zone
area in danger of booster that falls off back of missile after launch
missile that never fires
missile that fires at wrong time (just after or later)
missile still locked into cell rails (pyro bolts didnt blow) but booster ignites; use deluge to cool off the missile
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview