Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What causes Late blight in Solanum?
What are the ideal growth conditions for Phytophthora infestans?
- temps in the 60-80F
- high moisture
How does Phytophthora infestans overwinter/survive?
- As mycelium in infected potato tubers in storage or in the soil (become volunteers)
- Survive in culls
Characteristics of Phytophthora infestans?
- Kingdom stramenopila phylum oomycota
- Heterothallic (two mating types)
- Sporangiophores generate sporangia
- sporangia (germinate indirectly to zoospore when it is less than 12C. germinate directly into germ tube above 12C)
- Prefers lower temps and more moister this is when zoospores are made
How to manage late blight?
- Elimination of overwintering inoculum
- crop rotation
- Planting pathogen free tubers
- resistant cultivars
- Protectant fungicides most useful if applied before sporulation
- systemic fungicides can be applied shortly after an infection has begun
Phytophthora infestans sexual stage
antheridium + oogonium = oospore which then gives rise to a sporangium
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview