Chapter 5 Religion Test
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
The word gospel means _______________?
Gospel of Mark
- Mark was a Christian disciple (teenager)
- Shortest of 4 Gospels
- Fast-paced account of Jesus' words and actions
- Portrays Jesus as one who suffers with humanity and shares God's love with humankind
- Mark urged Christians to hold on to their belief in Christ especially in times of suffering
Gospel of Luke
- Luke was a doctor and did not know Jesus personally, but may have been a disciple who traveled with St Paul
- Emphasizes Jesus' concern for all human beings
- Includes Jesus' parables about the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son (all of these emphasize God's love and forgiveness toward humankind)
- Like Matthew, includes details of Jesus' birth and early life
Gospel of Matthew
- Matthew was a tax collector and apostle
- Highlight's Jesus' Jewish heritage
- Emphasizes Jesus' humanity by including a story about his birth and early life
- Showed Jesus especially concerned with the poor and lowly and suffering
- Jesus is shown to be a descendant of Abraham and of the Israelites' King David
- Jesus fulfills the promises that God made to his people in the Old Testament
In Matthew's Gospel, because Jesus teaches people how to follow God's laws in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus is shown to be a "new ________________".
because in Matthew, Jesus teaches people to follow God's law in the Sermon on the Mount like Moses received the 10 commandments at Mt Sinai
Gospel of John
- John was an apostle and fisherman
- Explores the mystery of the Incarnation
- Emphasizes that Jesus Christ is the Word of God and was God's Son who became a human being and lived among us
- Contains poetic language and imagery
- Portrays Jesus' miracles
- Emphasizes Jesus' teachings about love (love one another as he loves us - New Commandment)
- Shows some tension between Jesus and Jewish authorities because Jews who accepted Jesus and Jews who did not were in conflict
Are the Gospels in the Old or New Testament?
Each of the Gospels give us a unique perspective on Jesus, but they all express the same _______________ and __________ __________.
truth and good news (that God sent his only Son, Jesus Christ, to show us how to live and to save us)
What is a parable?
a short story with a message
What is a Gentile?
What are the 3 synoptic Gospels?
Why do they call them the synoptic Gospels?
The synoptic Gospels present the good news of Jesus Christ from a similar point of view
What is the Catholic News Service (CNS)?
- news service established in 1920
- a division of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops
- mission is to spread the good news of Jesus Christ using modern technology and media
What is incarnation?
the truth that the Son of God, 2nd person of the Blessed Trinity, became man and lived among us
What is an evangelist?
someone who proclaims the good news of Jesus Christ by what he or she says or does
Jesus Christ came to proclaim the good news to _______________, especially those who were poor, hungry, sick, lonely, homeless, or treated unfairly.
What is the definition of Word of God?
Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the most complete expression of God's Word
The word synoptic means _______________.
a viewing together
Who is Fulton J Sheen?
- lived from 1895-1979
- Catholic television pioneer and evangelist
- proclaimed the good news of Christ to millions of viewers in the 1950s on his show "Life is Worth Living"
- He brought many people to enter or return to the Catholic Church
- An effort is underway to have him declared a saint
In Jesus Christ, we meet God in the ______________.
Jesus became human likes us, but he did not ___________.
Jesus was both true _________ and true ___________. He understood human life and taught us love and friendship with God.
God and man
The development of the 4 Gospels followed these 3 steps:
Jesus lived and taught among us, then died and rose to new life to save us
Eyewitnesses to Jesus' life and teachings shared the truths that he is God's Son who saved us, the good news began to spread
The authors of the Gospels, inspired by the Holy Spirit, wrote the good news of Jesus that had been handed down
Each of the 4 Gospels emphasized different details of Jesus' life because they were writing for their own ________________.
The authors of the 4 Gospels were inspired by the ____________ ______________.
Which 2 Gospel authors were the only ones who were apostles?
Matthew and John
What does the Catechism of the Catholic Church say about the Gospel readings during Mass?
It is he himself who speaks when the holy Scriptures are read in Church
In the Gospels, we meet Jesus and he:
- he invites us to become disciples
- he guides us
- he gives us an example to follow
- he draws us into prayer
- he preaches to us
Explain why the coming of Jesus Christ is good news for all people and for all time.
Because he is God in the flesh who lived among us to teach us about God's love and forgiveness and then he died to save us from our sin
We meet God in his son ___________ ___________.
Timeline of the Gospels
- Mark 30 AD
- Matthew 70 to 90 AD
- Luke 80 to 85 AD
- John 90 AD
Each of the synoptic Gospels include a story about Jesus healing a ______________ man.
Who was the audience for the 4 Gospels?
- Mark - Gentile (non-Jewish) Christians who were being persecuted for their faith in Christ, mostly Romans
- Matthew - Jewish people who became followers of Christ
- Luke - Greek Gentiles
- John - all people
What does Lectio Divina mean?
- Latin name for a way of praying
- It means divine reading
- Read a Scripture passage
- Meditate on the reading
- Pray to God
- Contemplate on the passage
- Decide how to respond
What are the symbols of the 4 Gospels?
- Mark - winged lion
- Matthew - winged man
- Luke - winged ox
- John - eagle
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview