The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Types of Crime
- Social Control
- The Criminal Justice System
- Theories of Deviance
- Killing is an act. Murder is a crime.
- Executing a convicted murderer is not a crime
- Deviance is Relative
- Deviance is Socially constructed
- How do we exercise social control?
- How do we decide when an act is deviant?
- Who decides what is a crime and how it should be punished?
- Deviance is behavior violating the norms or standards of a group, society, or one's peers.
- Deviance varies
- By culture
- Over time
- With the situation
Deviance varies by culture
dxeviance varies over time
- Smoking:banned in 14 states in the early 1900s, Regarded positively in the 1950s when those laws were rescinded, Now smoking is once again banned in many circumstances
- homosexuality:once considered a mental disorder,Now a lifestyle choice, no longer considered a mental disorder by psychological and psychiatric associations
- Sex outside of marriage:considered deviant in the first half of the 20th century,1960s sexual revolution changed that view,AIDs scare since the 1980s once again discouraged it, Now more common than ever