Lecture 2-2 Integumentary system
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
5 cells of the epidermis
- 1) stem cells: give rise to keratinocytes
- 2) keratinocytes: synthesize keratin (majority of epidermal cells)
- 3) melanocytes: synthesizes melanin (Shields UV)
- 4) Tactile/merkel cells: touch receptor
- 5) dendritic/Langerhans cells: macrophages found in stratum spinosum and granulosum.
what layer of the epidermis do melanocytes and stem cells only occur in
layer tactile or merkel cells are found in the epidermis
Name the layer of skin that:
-varies in thickness
-contains collagenous, reticular, and elastic fibers
-contains muscle fibers, blood vessels, lymphatic vessels, nerve endings, hair follicles, and glands
-cells found here: fibroblasts, macrophages, and adipocytes
-2 layers: -papillary layer & reticularl
layer dendritic Langerhans' cells found in the epidermis
in the stratum spanosum or granulosum
layers of the dermis
- 1) papillary layer: superficial rich in blood vessles
- 2) reticular layer: dense irregular connective tissue
layers of the hypodermis
contains more areolar and adipose tissue than dermis
3 elements influencing skin color
- 1) carotene: yellow/orange
- 2) melanin: reddish/brown
- 3) hemoglobin: pinkish
bluish color from lack of oxygen
diagnostic value of skin color change:
1) erythema: dilated vessles (red)
- 3) pallor: little blood flow
- 4) jaundice: hepatic (liver) failure.
rule for recognizing malignant melanoma
- A: asymmetry
- B: border irregularity
- C: color
- D: diameter
skin cancer that is large, raised, and circular. most common least deadly
From cells in the _____ layer of the epidermis
basal cell carcinoma
tumor that arises from keratinocytes, lesions appear. chance of recovery is good w/early detection.
arises from ___ layer in the epidermis
squamous cell carcinoma
tumor that raised, dark red, arises from melanocytes (often in preexisting mole). Metastasizes rapidly and unresponsive to chemotherapy
Arises from the____ layer of the epidermis
where are these glands located:
- 1) genital regions, armpits
- 2) near hair follicle (not hands/feet.
- 3) sweat glands (palm soles of feet).
glands in your ears and what do they do
ceruminous glands produce ear wax
name 2 types of sudoriferous glands
aprocrine and merocrine glands
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview