Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What documents would tell you where Cab Signal Rules are in effect?
Line Special Instructions or Bulletin Order
Trains operating on track where CSS rules are in effect must be equipped with?
Operative Train Control Apparatus in the lead unit
In a movement of non-equipped trains in authorized, at what speed must you operate?
On all engines and cab cars, train control apparatus must be _______ and the ATC selector switch must be in the _____________
- cut in
- Mode Forward Position.
What is the only exception where train control apparatus may be cut out under normal circumstances, not a failure?
When operating where MBS rules are in effect
What crew members are jointly responsible for ensuring that the ATC mode switch is in the proper position when entering or leaving CSS territory?
The conductor and engineer are jointly responsible
Trains entering CSS territory from non-CSS tracks must operate at __________ passing the location where CSS rules take effect and not increase speed until the train has _____________________ in the CSS territory
- Restricted Speedtraveled one train length
Who may perform a daily cab signal test?
Only a Qualified Maintenance Person (QMP)
Who can perform a Cab Signal Departure Test?
The engineer should perform the Cab Signal Departure Test
What is the form used to record the Cab Signal Test results?
Form M E-8c
A ________________ will be performed by the engineer each time he sets up a cab for operation as a lead unit on the train.
Road Train Cab Signal Test
What does a Road Train Cab Signal Test require? (4 items)
- Examine all train control apparatus cut-out switches for proper position and application of seals
- Inspecting the Cab Signal Certification Form (ME-8c) to ensure test completion within past 24hrs
- Testing the audible indication
- If the engine is not equipped with a mode selector switch, ensuring that the ATC is activated
On M7's and M8's only, since you cannot test the audible indicator what other test is required in indication to a ROAD TRAIN CAB SIGNAL TEST?
A Cab Signal Departure Test is required in addition to a RTCST
When a cab signal changes to a more restrictive indication, the engineer must immediately? (2 items)
- Acknowledge the audible indicatorIf the train speed is greater that the speed authorized by cab signal indication, apply the brakes until train speed is reduced to the authorized speed
When a cab signal changes to a more favorable indication, train speed must not be increased until?
Train has travelled one train length
When a cab signal indication momentarily changes (flips), the engineer will make a report to whom as soon as possible?
What information must be given to the RTC when a Cab Flip is received? (4 items)
Location, Track, Cab Signal Indications involved, Whether the Flip required acknowledgement
A train will be considered to have a train control apparatus failure when:
any component of the train control apparatus fails to operate as intended
What are some situations where a train will be considered a failed train? (5 items)
- The audible indicator fails to sound or continues to sound when not required
- The speedometer is inoperative, reading 0 MPH when train is moving; or there is constant No Motion (vzero) indication
- It is necessary to operate to cut-out switch for the cab signals, ATC, ATS or any other component of the train control apparatus; except when necessary for operation in MBS territory
- Damage or fault occurs to any component of the train control apparatus
- The train experiences continuous cab signal flips
A train will also b considered a failed train if?
A train receives a cab signal indication that is not in conformity with fixed signal indication or observable track occupancy or train conditions
If the cab signal indication is more favorable than fixed signal indication, track occupancy, track conditions, or allowed speed for a diverging movement, what must the engineer do immediately?
Bring the train to a stop, contact the RTC for instructions
When a train experiences a train control apparatus failure, whom must be contacted?
The RTC must be notified of the nature of the failure
The engineer will cut-out only?
Those portions of the TCA that are necessary to allow movement
Engineers of failed trains are require to complete what form prior to the completion of their assignment?
Cab Signal Incident Report
When a train control apparatus failure occurs, in addition to notifying the RTC, the train may not move until the engineer notifies?
When practicable, where should the conductor be on failed train?
In or adjacent to the controlling cab to observe conditions and communicate signals
If the conductor cannot be stationed with the engineer of the failed train, the engineer must?
- Communicate by radio or by other means, each interlocking signal by name and location
- The conductor will repeat those transmissions
Whom else besides the RTC and Conductor are required to be notified of the Train Control Apparatus Failure?
Other crew members
When a train control apparatus failure has occurred, the train control apparatus on that engine will be considered inoperative until?
Repaired and tested by a QMP
How will trains with a control apparatus failure operate from the point of failure?
From the point of failure to the next interlocking, failed train will operated at Restricted Speed
What must the RTC display for all Subsequent controlled blocks for failed trains?
An absolute block signal
How will trains governed by Absolute Block Signals operate?
- Slow speed within interlocking limits;
- MAS not exceeding 59 MPH outside of interlocking limits, approaching interlocking signals prepared to stop
When an absolute block signal cannot be displayed by the RTC a proceed cab indication may be accepted only after?
Receiving verbal permission by the RTC
If a failed train accepts a proceed cab indication, how will they proceed to the next interlocking signal?
At Restricted Speed