Task Centered Design CSE 556A WUSTL
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Characteristic of a Good Task Example: Says what the user wants to do but does not say how they would do it
- no assumptions made about the interface
- can be used to compare design alternatives in a fair way
Phase 1: Developing good task examples
- (1) Says what the user wants to do but does not say how they would do it
- (2) Are very specific
- (3) Describes a complete job
- (4) Says who the users are
- (5)Are evaluated
- (6)As a set, identifies a broad coverage of users and task types
Characteristics of a Good Task Example: Are very specific
- says exactly what the user wants to do
- specifies actual items the user would somehow want to input
Characteristics of a Good Task Example: Say who the users are
- name names, if possible
- says what they know
Characteristics of a Good Task Example: Describe a complete job:
- forces designer to consider how interface features work together
- contrasts how information input / output flows through the dialog
Characteristics of a Good Task Example: Describe a complete job (DONT):
- create a list of simple things the system should do
- present a sub-goal independent of other sub-goals
Good Example of a Task:
- Fred Johnson, who is caring for his demanding toddler son, wants a good quality umbrella stroller (red is preferred, but blue is acceptable).
- He browses the catalog and chooses the JPG stroller (cost $98. item code 323 066 697).
- He pays for it in cash, and uses it immediately.
- Fred is a first-time customer to this store, has little computer experience, and says he types very slowly with one finger. He lives nearby on Dear Bottom Avenue NW.
Dissection of Fred Johnson Task -- Fred has many properties of our typical expected user:
- many customers are first time shoppersa good number have no computer experience
- a good number are poor typists.
Dissection of Fred Johnson's Task--task type is routine and important:
- many people often purchase only one item
- a good number of those pay by cash
- as with Fred, people often have a general sense of what they want to buy, but decide on the actual product only after seeing what is available.
Dissection of Fred Johnson's Task-Two BIG Pluses with the task story:
- Fred has many properties of our typical expected user
- The task type is routine and important
Good task examples...:
- Say what user wants to do, not how
- Are very specific
- Describe a complete job
- Say who users are
- Are evaluated As a set, describe a broad coverage of users and tasks
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview