Contraindicated in pts with acute narrow-angle glaucoma, shock, coma, and acute alcohol intoxication. Use w/caution in pts with COPD, chronic renal failure, CHF, and elderly
- IV injection should be diluted to concentration of 0.25mg/mL in NS or D5W. Aviod rapid injection which may cause respiratory depression
- Verify with a physician before IV administration to neonates and infants
- Inspect IV site for signs of extravasation during injection.
- If pt is premedicated w/a narcotic agonist analgesic(pain reliever), the conscious sedation period may be marked by hypotension
- Effects are prolonged in obese pts because half life is prolonged, so monitor vitals for entire recovery period