The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- A shared culture is necessary if a society is to run smoothly through social consensus
- This shared culture is passed down from generation to generation
- Most people must conform the shared culture to avoid anarchy
- People who do not conform risk punishment from the rest of society due to breaking the norms and values of that society
- Culture is nothing more than ruling class ideology
- This harmful ideology is passed to society and disguised as common values and norms
- The working class suffer false class consciousness e.g. exams wording questions difficultly- working class thinking they didn't work hard enough
- This means their beliefs and culture are not actually shaped by them but rather by the ruling class
- Why? -to maintain their oppression, who else is going to do the low paid jobs
- Culture is independent from economic influences
- Working class does have some independence from ruling class domination
- Symbolic resistance e.g. skinheads
- There is little/no culture as there is so much variety and choice for individuals
- Our society has cultural pluralism (diversity of cultures in contemporary Britain)
- This pluralism is encouraged social changes and government policy changes e.g. to gay marriage and immigration
- Culture is based on shared interactions.
- There are large elements of shared culture still present as well as vast cultural diversity.
- Culture is always subject to change and will continue to change.