The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
adjuvant analgesic agent
- a drug that has a primary indication other than pain (e.g., anticonvulsant, antidepressant, sodium channel blocker, or muscle relaxant) but is an analgesic agent for some painful conditions
- sometimes referred to as co-analgesic
a type of opioid (e.g., nalbuphine [Nubain] and butorphanol [Stadol]) that binds to the kappa opioid receptor site acting as an agonist (capable of producing analgesia) and simultaneously to the mu opioid receptor site acting as an antagonist (reversing mu agonist effects)
- pain due to a stimulus that does not normally provoke pain, such as touch
- typically experienced in the skin around areas affected by nerve injury and commonly seen with many neuropathic pain syndromes
- drug that competes with agonists for opioid receptor binding sites
- can displace agonists, thereby inhibiting their action
breakthrough pain (BTP
a transitory increase in pain that occurs on a background of otherwise controlled persistent pain
- any member of the group of drugs used to achieve analgesia
- relief from pain.
an analgesic dose above which further dose increments produce no change in effect